KERIKERI to Vava’u Yacht Race 2017

KERIKERI to Vava’u Yacht Race 2017

The Kerikeri Cruising Club is now taking entries for the Kerikeri to Vava’u yacht race that has the Cruising Division starting on the 4th of May and the Racing Division on the 6th.

Rikk.JPG

The first yacht to register was the Reichel Pugh designed ‘Rikki’ owned and skippered by Ray Haslar of Kerikeri, closely followed by David Saggs’ 14 mtr multi hull ‘Magique’.

Magique.JPG

After-race festivities will include a traditional style beach party and feast prior to the official prize giving at the Mango Café, the home of the Vava’u Yacht Club.

Vava’u  offers  a new experience for blue water racing sailors including a unique style of local hospitality.  The islands of the Vava’u group offer some spectacular anchorages for those who enjoy scuba diving, snorkelling or just swimming off the beach.

Race contestants will be eligible for a drawn prize for a trip for two to Vava’u including return air fares and six nights’ accommodation, staying at the Tongan Beach Resort.

The Kerikeri Cruising Club can assist with travel packages for supporting families and friends through Mondo Travel Kerikeri.

For further information go to the Kerikeri Cruising Club web site or phone the chairman of the race committee Mark Beauchamp on 0274858207  

23786 Vavau Race A5 FV PRINT.jpg

Dr Dave Austin (he writes the Cat 1 med kit requirements) course at the Squadron on 22 April. This is a very good, hands on and practical course, you even get to staple and inject a chicken (from the supermarket).

The course will cover:

Sea Sickness

Minor wounds

Major Trauma

Major wounds and closure

techniques

Fractures and dislocations

Burns

Infection – skin, systemic

Antibiotics

Intramuscular injections

Other course dates:

Advanced Sea Survival – 1st &2nd April, 29th & 30th April

Coastal Medic – 11th & 12th February, 25th & 26th March

Offshore Medic – 25th & 26th February, 8th & 9th April

• Upvote 1

Everyone seen this today?  WTF no interest what's going on here?  

Dear Sir

After much discussion last night our committee has come to the decision to Cancel our Kerikeri to Vava'u Yacht Race which was to be held early May 2017 from our Clubhouse at Doves Bay Kerikeri.

We wish to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in this event but unfortunately the lack of entrants has forced us to come to this decision.

Kind Regards
cleardot.gif

Carolyn Flood
Secretary
Kerikeri to Vava'u Yacht Race Committee

Magique had entered, only 2 had.  There were 21 yachts showing interest. Were the other 19 not going or just getting around to entering?

The NOR has a cut of for entry of 7 April. So maybe all 21 were going to enter? Why is the race being cancelled two months before the entrance cut off date and the reason given as insufficient entrants?

PS we are still going to sail to Tonga start of May.

The only way I can see that this would make sense is if they had contacted each of the other 19 and been told by most that they had changed their minds. Even then simple courtesy would suggest that they phone the 2 confirmed entries and let them know personally what was going on. When did they open formal registration? Was it much earlier than Jan 26 when this thread started? I notice that the NOR and entry form are still live on the website.

OPEN LETTER

TO : Kerikeri-Vava’u Race Committee and Yachting NZ

I would ask please that you reconsider the cancellation of the Kerikeri-Vava’u Race.

If the committee has actually contacted the owners of 19 yachts listed on the web site that have shown interest and the majority have declined then I agree that you would have insufficient entries.  However, the Notice of Race has the entry cut of date as 7 April, two months away, so how does the committee actually know you have insufficient entries?  What number of entries do you define as sufficient?

I expect that many yacht owners like me have spent considerable sums of money and time in preparation and their crew have organized time off and to be on courses to meet Cat 1 and NOR requirements.  All I actually expected from the organizing committee was perhaps a social event at the start and end of the race, monitoring and results and possibly some help with CIQ, albeit I have all that covered already.

The Kerikeri Cruising Club took on the commitment to host the only YNZ offshore race in 2017.  To cancel the race at this stage removes from NZ yachties this great opportunity for the whole year.  If the level of entries is the real concern, then why not contact the yachts and even bring forward the entry close date to firm the numbers up?  Perhaps spend more time raising the profile through various media such as YNZ and other club and yachting organization newsletters?

I have offered before and again I offer any help I may be able to provide.

Thank you for considering this.

Dave Saggs

• Upvote 1

We are in the same boat as others, we have spent a lot time and money getting Satellite Spy ready for the race. The crew had all been arranging time off etc etc and then to have it canned without even a phone call to discuss is absolutely ridiculous and difficult for us to comprehend.