Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

And they wonder why they can't get fleets
Sometimes you have to commit to things and even invest to make them grow
Don't think I'm just knocking here as I'm the RO for the only offshore race in NZ in 2017, sure it starts and finishes in Alk but if you haven't done the RNI you may think it's easier than sailing offshore
The best sailors do it two handed

#2 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

I don't know the background to the above decision so won't comment on that but the following comment does relate to this race as well.

The NZ offshore/extended coastal sailing organisers only have themselves to blame for the minuscule fleets I'm sorry to say. Their focus, while admiral, is simply far too narrow that it has now excluded the vast majority of the fleet. So that can only lead to what we are seeing these days, very tiny to non-existent fleets.

Can we spin this off into another thread IT. Best not to have it here as the sh*t house readers will just think it's an attack on the KCC, which is isn't, but it is a conversation NZ yachting needs to have and have quickly.

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

Don't think I'm just knocking here as I'm the RO for the only offshore race in NZ in 2017, sure it starts and finishes in Alk but if you haven't done the RNI you may think it's easier than sailing offshore

An extended coastal has a far lower barrier to entry and doing a race than say a full offshore like say a Akl-Fiji. If the destination was another country I doubt you would have anything like those numbers. But please do feel free to try and prove me wrong, please please do ;)

#4 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:31 AM

yes watching last years island race start I was struck by how few normal Dad and Mum Kiwi boats were going, there is no place for them amongst the big boat race fleet anymore, never mind how time poor we all are, even the racey small boats were populated by sailmakers and  boatbuilders who kinda had to be there. 

#5 Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:38 AM

I don't know the background to the above decision so won't comment on that but the following comment does relate to this race as well.

I've been away for a while ... What decision?

"That which can be accepted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Hitchens

#6 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

The Kerikeri-Vava'u race was called off. The discussion originated on another thread - http://crew.org.nz/f...17/#entry180002

#7 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,187 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

IMO the organisers underestimate the time and $ commitment it takes to do an international race from NZ. To meet the safety regs it's easy to spend $50k or more on a boat over 10 years old. Plus time away from earning, and living expenses, flights for crew changes etc. To do a race from NZ to the islands, with only a month or 6 weeks away could easily total 70k or more. There is no chance of getting that $ back, so you better get a lot from the race! There simply aren't many around with the time, $, and inclination to do these races. IMO.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#8 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

That pretty much sums up keelboats at the moment

#9 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

that sound a bit defeatest.  You're essentially saying - don't even bother testing the water to see if there is interest.  At least KCC tried to get something off the ground - its not their fault that the interest is no longer there.

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#10 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,187 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:44 AM

That's true Scottie, but that's how I see it. That's also why, again IMO, that ICA get more - it's people, who are new to offshore,often under the misconception that it's safer in a fleet, and who are retired or taking extensive leave, or a break between jobs. It's (generally) the younger sailors who want to race, and few of them have the means to do this, unless crewing.
No idea what the solution is.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users