47 replies to this topic

#1 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:11 AM

I am sure its been covered but I could not easily find via search.

I have 5 lights I want to replace,  I really like the Hella Euro 115 but at about $145 a pop I find myself looking at alternatives.    I want a lot of light as the interior is darker teak.

#2 Winter

Winter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

http://misystems.co....r-led-lighting/

Saw these guys at a boat show once. they have some good stuff. they do the exterior lights on all the st johns ambulances.

No idea on costs tho

I like the look of that hella euro but would love one that does red as well as white

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:23 AM

After a spat of 'name brand' failures in the boat building industry, they turned out to be asian knock offs i.e the 'PERKO' on very close inspection turned out to be 'PERKQ', lead to boats with no lights inc Nav lights out on the water. Plus a recent case where a very good looking light that was LED was seen using 1.5amps and other that was seen smouldering, I thought bugger that.

I went all Hella (bar the masthead Opti..Octi.. light Nav light) and are happy I did. Nice gear made well and reliably. The extra cost was to get that far exceeded any goodness in buying cheap. And I got to support a NZ manufacturer at the same time.

Hunt around, I've seen Hella vary quite a bit in price.

#4 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

Should have qualified This is internal lighting..... I am not ballsy enough to go led on Navs yet.    Even at trade that hella 115 is a lot of beer tokens , have seen them installed tho and wow

#5 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:11 PM

Yes I did the research, and ended up going all Hella for the nav and mainly Hella for the interior, finished a day before Christmas -what a difference in consumption -very pleased with the result, if you saw the testing done by Hella here you would find it easier to swallow the price, gulp  

#6 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:56 PM

Should have qualified This is internal lighting..... I am not ballsy enough to go led on Navs yet.   

99% of the ones I mentioned above are internal. Some small strip like ones, some round ones, one on a long arm for the Nav station etc. I have quite a few small ones so I can have bugger al lights thru to loud in your face. Some key ones down aft are white and red and midships there is a key one that is white and Blue depending on which way you flick the switch.

My Masthead is LED and I wouldn't have a problem going LED for Nav lights elsewhere but I would be buying those carefully....and probably go Hella for those as well.

#7 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:35 PM

I've just been changing the bulbs over, Took a couple to get the colour/ type right but they're all fine now. Guy in Greenpark road has good prices.

#8 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,182 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

That would be optolamp Km. I have their range. Great, high quality LEDs, internal, masthead nav etc. Happy to discuss.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#9 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:42 AM

I have a beautiful Optolamp from IT, unused in it's box in my store room; 12V model with strobe/anchor etc.

As it's a new build, and the mast wiring is the longest run, I'm probably going to change tack go 24V so I can cut down on the gauge of the wire and also losses (except for the SSB and stove damnit), So, if someone wants to swap it for the same model in 24v...

I have a nice 24v inverter and a couple of other things in 24v already (serendipitously), so it's kind of picking the voltage system to match...

Speaking of lights and masts, who's got the simplest but most comprehensive wiring setup for their mast?  It can quickly get out of control by the time you put deck spreader lights, steaming light, and a couple of others up there (windex illum.), not to mention power for instruments, + a couple of aerials etc. (AIS + VHF)... 

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#10 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:51 AM

Doc, are you referring to the gauge of wiring to other pieces of equipment? or just the mast light? Because the Opti uses such a small amount of current, you could still cut down the gauge dramatically. Or you could also use a 24-12V converter just for the Mast light.

Re controlling lights. There is now a system that is digital, that has one 2 core wire that goes to everything, but each unit can be separately controlled as if each was individually wired. The system is being installed on most new builds now. As IT about it. He may now what it is called and if he can get it.

Re the Hella range, one of the several reasons it is so darn expensive is due to the ability to produce a wide bandwith of White light. Many will know that a simple white LED light may look really bright, but for some weird reason, it is hard to see things by the light. This is due to a very narrow bandwidth of light. Or on other words, not enough colours are going into making the white. We see things by reflection. A colour is due to that colour reflecting more of that band of light. Remove some of the light spectrum and we start missing detail. Add to that, some LED's tend to produce a lot of Blue and Blue end of the spectrum is hard fro our eyes to see. So the combinations of above make things hard to see, even though the LED seems bright. Hella have a wide bandwidth which makes the interior seem brighter and warmer and that is expensive to do and reflects the price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users