LED lighting

SO does that go at the top of the mast? or simply installed before the switch panel?

I'll need a decent one anyway for the SSB (and Wallas stove), unless I also run a dedicated 12V system for them...

Its pretty small - like a matchbox - usually at the switch panel or the mast base junction box...

for internal LEDs on the boat we started with just changing the bulbs, but then swapped to the whole fittings.  Bought them from a USA RV place, cant remember which one and had a friend post them to us from the USA.  Way cheaper and so far (18months) good quality.

Its well worth changing the whole fittings. For two primary reasons - the light is better - the diffuser (lens) in the light is designed for the particular LEDs inside it. the second reason is that the weak point of any lights is often the bulb socket - changing to a good LED and wiring directly removes these connections entirely. A good LED fitting should give you about 50,000 hours MTBF (Mean time Between Failures)

I use a lot of LED strip lights as well though, however I quite like the Bell Rock cabin lights - like this https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=49494&intAbsolutePage=3

White - and the brightest LED cabin lights I've seen - and red for night. Really good lights - I'd like to sell them, but the manufacturers only seem interested in a pallet at a time...  I have 3 of these, all going fine after 5 years.

Nah , the ones I have that are 5 years old are an older model than that link. Burnsco have the old model ones, not the newer ones for some reason - maybe they get the obsolete stock....

I have 1 of the ones in that link, but want a couple more.

Interesting that bright LEDs  seem to be so desired. I found the challenge was finding more yellow/ less bright for cabin lighting.

But like I said earlier , I'm just retrofitting bulbs rather than whole units.

• Upvote 1

I recently replaced interior and exterior lamps with LEDs. The Hella products (tricolour/ anchor light and one interior Euro lamp) were expensive but worth it. Rest of the interior lamps were replaced with cheapies from Burnsco, all of which do the job adequately except the reading lights that generate RF which interferes with the FM radio. You get what you pay for!

Jonathan, they work OK, but the lamp they are installed in still won't have the right diffusion lenses for led. Also, still suffer from the normal socket issues. Still, not a bad low cost solution.

Its just the power supply they use is poor design/quality and they leak RF! LEDs dont run at 12v, so the power has to be controlled for them - its that control method that caused issues in some of them, LED Nav lights can be an issue, even some that should know better! The symptom most commonly seen is a squealing noise on all VHF channels, which can be from minor to making the radio unusable. The solution is buy decent lights!! Ones that do this are not fit for purpose, and should be returned for a refund. IMO. 

Its just the power supply they use is poor design/quality and they leak RF! LEDs dont run at 12v, so the power has to be controlled for them - its that control method that caused issues in some of them, LED Nav lights can be an issue, even some that should know better! The symptom most commonly seen is a squealing noise on all VHF channels, which can be from minor to making the radio unusable. The solution is buy decent lights!! Ones that do this are not fit for purpose, and should be returned for a refund. IMO. 

But burnsco recon that "they have never heard of that before, Must be something wrong with your radio's."

Crap. Whomever you spoke to at burnsco was an amateur. A quick google search on Rf and LEDs will find heaps of stuff about this issue....

I agree I went home and pulled stuff of the net including a printout of the notice to marine suppliers from the ministry. And took it all down to them. 

Result "not much we can do about that" and they still sale them. 

But I don't buy ANY light stuff of them and keep telling them that. I go in there for the odd bits and bobs and look around and say something along the lines off "I wont some light bulbs fittings, bugger will get them some where else as your stuff will get me killed.

And they laugh. 

• Upvote 1

How long is that piece of string and is it green, red or white string. How much do you want to light up and how brightly? For some, just one light is all that is needed, but for others, they may want more.

Well, Wheels, just bright enough so I don't bang my head or knee on something making my way to the head at midnight!  In all seriousness, I can't stand bright light, much prefer a more subtle ambience.  I was hoping to get away with two lights, one in the main cabin, and one in the for'ard area, but no idea of what lumens or whatever, as never had any experience fitting lights to a small yachts cabin.

It absolutely depends on the particular light. Just like incandescent lights, leds vary in power, diffuser effectiveness, number of leds in the unit etc. Go to burnsco and look at a few on the working display panels to see.

However, I’m getting old and need better light than I once did, and I use 3 main lights in the saloon and one in each cabin on a 40 ft boat.

2ndry lights are strip lights on each side of the saloon, reading lights over each bunk, lights in every locker, engine room etc. With everything on its as bright as domestic house lighting.

I use these;

https://www.whitworths.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=Bell+rock

Specifically this one as the main cabin light, white and red, very bright:

https://www.whitworths.com.au/bell-rock-super-bright-36-white-12-red-led-slim-light-board

Better than KM’s I reckon!

Looks like burnsco have them now too:

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/12v-electrical/lighting/led-ceiling-light3