#21 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

Oh, and Dr W, the optolamp 24v version just comes with a voltage converter. I can get you one if you like?

SO does that go at the top of the mast? or simply installed before the switch panel?

I'll need a decent one anyway for the SSB (and Wallas stove), unless I also run a dedicated 12V system for them...

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#22 dutyfree

dutyfree

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:40 AM

for internal LEDs on the boat we started with just changing the bulbs, but then swapped to the whole fittings.  Bought them from a USA RV place, cant remember which one and had a friend post them to us from the USA.  Way cheaper and so far (18months) good quality.

External I have been slowly biting the bullet on Hella.

#23 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,182 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

SO does that go at the top of the mast? or simply installed before the switch panel?

I'll need a decent one anyway for the SSB (and Wallas stove), unless I also run a dedicated 12V system for them...

Its pretty small - like a matchbox - usually at the switch panel or the mast base junction box...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#24 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

for internal LEDs on the boat we started with just changing the bulbs, but then swapped to the whole fittings.  Bought them from a USA RV place, cant remember which one and had a friend post them to us from the USA.  Way cheaper and so far (18months) good quality.

Its well worth changing the whole fittings. For two primary reasons - the light is better - the diffuser (lens) in the light is designed for the particular LEDs inside it. the second reason is that the weak point of any lights is often the bulb socket - changing to a good LED and wiring directly removes these connections entirely. A good LED fitting should give you about 50,000 hours MTBF (Mean time Between Failures)

I use a lot of LED strip lights as well though, however I quite like the Bell Rock cabin lights - like this https://www.whitwort...tAbsolutePage=3

White - and the brightest LED cabin lights I've seen - and red for night. Really good lights - I'd like to sell them, but the manufacturers only seem interested in a pallet at a time...  I have 3 of these, all going fine after 5 years.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#25 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

sh*t - you need quite a big battery bank to run a pallet's worth!
After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#26 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:58 PM

I quite like the Bell Rock cabin lights - like this https://www.whitwort...tAbsolutePage=3

White - and the brightest LED cabin lights I've seen - and red for night. Really good lights - I'd like to sell them, but the manufacturers only seem interested in a pallet at a time...  I have 3 of these, all going fine after 5 years.

After 5 years wouldn't they be a old school in the LED technology stakes?

I remember sussing for MR16 LED's in 2009 and 3W were about the gruntiest out there now we can get 20W versions..... which are like being sat right in front of Eden Parks flood lights, quite painful. I have 2 Hella LED sort of spot lights and each one puts out more than a 150W old school spot light. The Hellas are about 60mm diameter, tiny things.

I do like the LED technology a lot but I'm convinced most of the 50,000hr life span claims are as accurate as the Iraq WMD claims were.

#27 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

Nah , the ones I have that are 5 years old are an older model than that link. Burnsco have the old model ones, not the newer ones for some reason - maybe they get the obsolete stock....
I have 1 of the ones in that link, but want a couple more.

#28 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

Interesting that bright LEDs  seem to be so desired. I found the challenge was finding more yellow/ less bright for cabin lighting.

But like I said earlier , I'm just retrofitting bulbs rather than whole units.

#29 Sail Rock

Sail Rock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

I recently replaced interior and exterior lamps with LEDs. The Hella products (tricolour/ anchor light and one interior Euro lamp) were expensive but worth it. Rest of the interior lamps were replaced with cheapies from Burnsco, all of which do the job adequately except the reading lights that generate RF which interferes with the FM radio. You get what you pay for!

#30 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

I am trying this bulb in an interior fitting , its a 4w Replaces  (25w old school bulb), its going into an old fitting with very opaque thick lens, will see what happens, and report back.

https://www.trademe....-1449266222.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users