Improving the look of spars

The mast and boom on my traler yacht are in good condition but was never anodised so look pretty average.  To improve the look, the mast is too long to strip and anodise and it has been suggested I get it either powder coated or wet sprayed.  Any advice from those in the know?

Cheers, Mike

IMG_2074.jpg

DO NOT POWDER COAT. It will look great for a few years, then a little bit of Salt water will get in under it and then it starts to blister then it becomes a mess and you can even have corrosion work right through the Ally. A Polyurathane paint is much better that Powdercoat. But even that will eventually fail. It could be 20yrs though. It takes a lot of prep and good etch primer and then a real good top coat to get the best long lasting  coat.
Anodizing is the best finish. It is very hard wearing and corrosion proof. But I have no idea if anyone in NZ has a tank long enough to take a mast. Once anodized, it will last for years and years. I imagine the cost would be as much as a real good paint, because to get the best anodized finish, you need to have the mast cleaned and sanded smooth anyway. Any nicks and scratches will remain unless sanded.