Out there sailing.

Guest shane

Guest shane

So I made it sailing in 70km winds 6M  seas it night. and I made it into Kaikoura also was not hard. :) next trip heading wellington too Auckland sometime. :)

• Upvote 1

do you need to come to wellington?  if you are heading north and get a good southerly forecast might it be better to go straight up the coast? 

Probably a better option if you have crew and can get decent rest while underway.

70Km, or 30 to 35kts. Depends on wind and sea direction. Hopefully he listened to some of us and that was a Southerly'ish wind and it would have been easyísh sailing up that part of the Coast.
Well done Shane.
I though you were heading to the Sounds though???
To Naiper from Wellington.......Wait for a Westerly. Don't go if it is a strong one. Across the Wairarapa coast can be deadly in a strong Westerly blow. I have heard stories of small stones hitting boats out there even. The best weather window of all would be Weasterly followed by a Southerly. Southerly is your friend up that coast.
If you have a Southerly off Palliser, STAY WELL OFF SHORE. That place is plain dangerous in an on shore wind, especially a Southerly. Massive Rolling breakers. In fact even in any wind, STAY WELL OFF SHORE. Lots of rips and overfalls.
Once you are around the corner, you have a long haul, but pretty clear all the way to Napier.
I grew to love Castle Point. What a pretty little place. If you have a strong westerly, you can shelter under the Lighthouse, or any of that cliff face along there.
Napier is a reasonably straight forward trip. But if you arrive in bad weather, be very aware of the entrance into the Harbour/Marina. Big swells can break at the entrance and make it very dangerous. Once inside, you can tie up along the public wharf on the Starboard side of the entry channel, but give the big Fishing Vessels plenty of room. They get snarky at yachties if the yachty takes their space.

Depends how windy it is Kevin. For me, Min 5Nm. However, in NW gale conditions, it is not unheard of for the local fishing boats at Ngawi to record 100 Knots and gravel from the top of the Tararuas hitting the boats 10NM out to sea!

That bit of coast does not really provide much shelter - too many catabatic winds coming down from the ranges. There are a few spots that can work - if you need one, a call on Ch16 can often pic up a local fishing boat with the required local knowledge. White rock is one.... Castle point by the light as wheels said as well. but in a southerly I'd prefer lots of sea room.

Ideal conditions for the trip is a 20 knot southerly....