Chains Ropes & Anchors ANZAC 150

SSANZ in association with Chains, Ropes & Anchors is organising the ANZAC 150. Starting at 1730hrs on Friday 21st April 2017 and finishing at Great Barrier Island with a Rally home on Sunday.

Key Details:

Longhaul starts at 1730hrs on Friday 21st April off Westhaven

Shorthaul and Cruising Divisions start 0900hrs Saturday 22nd April

3 Courses Longhaul 150 miles

Shorthaul 75 miles

Cruising Division 60 miles

IRC Divisions subject to entries

Finish at Great Barrier

Prizegiving and Party Smokehouse Bay Great Barrier

http://ssanz.co.nz/events/index.html?id=155

IMG_0348.JPG

One of mine is 7. How 'bout

"A yacht may enter the cruising division with primary school children on board provided they have one of their parents is part of the crew.

Also thinking about ladies (or indeed lads) taking their girls (or indeed lads) for the weekend.

In all seriousness, if SI's were accomodative of the carrying of movable ballast in the form of kids, this would substantially ease the logistics of getting out to race. I'd be interested in the actual number of people that used to race regularly but are taking a bit of a break due to having kids. Being able to bring them along on short handed racing (at an age when they clearly aren't going to be a benefit to racing the boat) would be a great way of getting out for a race, and getting the kids time on the boat.

This is similar to the old Coastal Div 8 chestnut - "is it the cruising division or the no-extras division".  My "personal view" is that such divisions are really set up to allow boats to be part of the event without "racing" necessarily being the primary focus.

Again my personal view has always been that if you want to race without setting down-wind sails then you should do just that and declare just that on your PHRF appl.  If you want to chop 'n change part way through seasons then you should ammend your PHRF accordingly.  Maybe I'm being a bit of a prick in this but it seems to me that the number of boats you would attract who chop and change would be way less than attracting the cruisers.  Sorry - slight thread drift.  Been doing lots of thinking lately about how to attract yachties to "race evets" - which is what we all want to achieve!

yeh - also agree with your statements MB both in reference to kids - there's no way we'd go if the conditions were anything other than friendly, and and also SSANZ objectives - does a short handed cruising division fit?  Family saling with kids is "generally short-handed sailing - primary objective?

The way things are going I may well take the preceeding week off anyway and head there Good Friday / Easter Sat!.  An advance party rally!

SSANZ objectives.JPG

We have always invited you to bring your extra's to the after match, we had a few get a ride out and sail back 3 or 4 up last time

Maybe we can have some sort of a mothership arrangement to deliver extra crew out, possibly cruisers that don't wish to race but are keen to be involved or even them stinkpot things ?

Or even ferry out, sail back ?

We used to do the Weiti Boating Club/Gulf Harbour B & T 2 handed series with 4 and 7 year old until one of the yachts racing got all silly last year and was going to protest us.  The funny thing was they are more of a handicap than ballast and we sail better with out them!!!!  This year we have not raced due to this as I would rather spend time with the family.

• Upvote 3

Surely there comes a point where a kid becomes a help?  From about 8 years old I was doing the delivery of the family cruiser up the coast for the xmas cruise to the BOI with Dad each year and doing shifts on the helm.  Plenty of kids of that age are racing optis etc and quite capable of steering or even basic trimming in need.  

They're not necessarily going to do the same job you could, but at some point there must come a point where an extra pair of hands, even if it's just to "keep steering us towards that point" or "hold this sheet while I pull up this halyard" does start to give an advantage.

There are quite a few clubs catering for families that organise crewed "destination" races with family focused events on the beach, which is great, but I think it's fair enough of SSANZ to stick with their objectives and do more challenging races to more challenging destinations, short handed.  Also means they can happily run a grown up beach party.  

Last years anzac race was a fantastic event, and SSANZ consistently get a great turnout, so it seems like they're getting it right how it is?

• Upvote 2

Ok we have decided to allow you to take your kids if your doing the cruising Division

"In the nature of this being a fun event we have decided to allow children to sail with there parents in the Cruising division provided they don't provide any assistance "

• Upvote 2