#11 B00B00

B00B00

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

I guess we could look at another division for that if there was enough interest. 

#12 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

This is similar to the old Coastal Div 8 chestnut - "is it the cruising division or the no-extras division".  My "personal view" is that such divisions are really set up to allow boats to be part of the event without "racing" necessarily being the primary focus.

Again my personal view has always been that if you want to race without setting down-wind sails then you should do just that and declare just that on your PHRF appl.  If you want to chop 'n change part way through seasons then you should ammend your PHRF accordingly.  Maybe I'm being a bit of a prick in this but it seems to me that the number of boats you would attract who chop and change would be way less than attracting the cruisers.  Sorry - slight thread drift.  Been doing lots of thinking lately about how to attract yachties to "race evets" - which is what we all want to achieve!

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#13 native

native

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

It's an idea with good intentions BUT it's kind of heading in the other direction to SSANZ objectives which are to promote shorthanded sailing. All fine to have an event that includes kids but that's not shorthanded and do you really want to race to Barrier with kids onboard? It immediately creates a different dynamic and participation due to weather etc. Sure I know its hard with kids, but in some ways better to leave the kids out unless conditions are pretty friendly.

#14 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Yeah, I guess its just too hard.

#15 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

yeh - also agree with your statements MB both in reference to kids - there's no way we'd go if the conditions were anything other than friendly, and and also SSANZ objectives - does a short handed cruising division fit?  Family saling with kids is "generally short-handed sailing - primary objective?

The way things are going I may well take the preceeding week off anyway and head there Good Friday / Easter Sat!.  An advance party rally!

Attached Files

After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#16 native

native

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

Scottie I'm on the same page, family sailing is really a solo affair with a friendly chat to the significant other at anchoring time :) Maybe SSANZ could just do an invite to all supporters and past entrants to meet the racers on the day?

#17 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

We have always invited you to bring your extra's to the after match, we had a few get a ride out and sail back 3 or 4 up last time
Maybe we can have some sort of a mothership arrangement to deliver extra crew out, possibly cruisers that don't wish to race but are keen to be involved or even them stinkpot things ?
Or even ferry out, sail back ?
The best sailors do it two handed

#18 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

Contact me in time next year, I could do that. Probably fit quite a few on board for a day trip.

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#19 Mrs Rafferty Rules

Mrs Rafferty Rules

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

We used to do the Weiti Boating Club/Gulf Harbour B & T 2 handed series with 4 and 7 year old until one of the yachts racing got all silly last year and was going to protest us.  The funny thing was they are more of a handicap than ballast and we sail better with out them!!!!  This year we have not raced due to this as I would rather spend time with the family.

#20 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:30 AM

Surely there comes a point where a kid becomes a help?  From about 8 years old I was doing the delivery of the family cruiser up the coast for the xmas cruise to the BOI with Dad each year and doing shifts on the helm.  Plenty of kids of that age are racing optis etc and quite capable of steering or even basic trimming in need.  

They're not necessarily going to do the same job you could, but at some point there must come a point where an extra pair of hands, even if it's just to "keep steering us towards that point" or "hold this sheet while I pull up this halyard" does start to give an advantage.

There are quite a few clubs catering for families that organise crewed "destination" races with family focused events on the beach, which is great, but I think it's fair enough of SSANZ to stick with their objectives and do more challenging races to more challenging destinations, short handed.  Also means they can happily run a grown up beach party.  

Last years anzac race was a fantastic event, and SSANZ consistently get a great turnout, so it seems like they're getting it right how it is?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SSANZ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users