Just tried to upload a file that is on the Yachting NZ website about plans to charge yachties for the NRC's fan worm etc. inspection team. apparently I am not allowed to do this? But perhaps someone else ( IT ) can access it and post it.

The interesting thing is that they are asking ratepayers for more money as well. The fact that they saw fit to give the Hundertwasser project just south of 2 million dollars without any rate payer consultation or approval and now are saying they have a shortfall defies logic, and shows how much they are Castle building, out of control! I would say so!

Not true, they are diving on Yachts in Whangarei Harbour (Parua bay especially, as it is known that along with Marsden Marina fan worm has taken up residence there. plus anecdotally up in the B.o.I. and demanding that anyone with any of the "pests" on their check list, on their hull slip asap or risk prosecution. Luckily barnacles aren't on there at present or there would be no boats left in the water!

Reading it at the moment and they are saying no arriving into any harbour, estuary or offshore anchorage with out antifouling being cleaned. They are talking about being able to clean the hull in the water though and also making tidal grids availble across the region for hull cleaning.

They plan on inspecting 2000 hulls in the region annually.

Not true, they are diving on Yachts in Whangarei Harbour (Parua bay especially, as it is known that along with Marsden Marina fan worm has taken up residence there. plus anecdotally up in the B.o.I. and demanding that anyone with any of the "pests" on their check list, on their hull slip asap or risk prosecution. Luckily barnacles aren't on there at present or there would be no boats left in the water!

We were dived on at BOI this year while anchored at Urapukapuka. We had a clean bill of health and received a certificate saying so.

To quote John McEnroe....."you cannot be serious". Stopping the Fan Worm and other import nasties now they are here.  Someone should tell them it's all over, rover. Oh ! I forgot .Another revenue stream in the name of political correctness and box ticking.

I always wonder how they want to monitor or certify antifouling etc for folk who do their own haulouts etc? 

I mean it's not hard to haul a Piedy at your local ramp if you have a suitable trailer and cart her to your workshop if you live close to the water. In fact if you live on the water's edge and have a suitable trailer, almost any boat can be hauled and worked on in your own shed (no run-off or containment issues etc.) without the council seeing it come and go...

The new mantra here in NZ is "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear"!

Some egit wants to dive on your boat after you've given the above explanation then so be it!

Maybe we should be able to sue them for allowing the critters in in the first place, after all we are getting infested in NRC waters.  ;-) ;-)

yeh - that'll work!  Or "they" could just attempt to ban us all from entering "their waters" to avoid said lawsuit.

BP - That's your choice not to go - I think its unreasonable for you to expect their ratepayers to pay for the public consultation meetings to be taken to Auckland.  You're an educated man, as a stakeholder, if you wish, you can read through their 142pg proposed plan, 942pg cost benefit analysis report and 8 pg FAQ sheets before making a submission!

The Regional Council enforcement officer was inspecting our boat. Spotless ! I raised the issues of the ships bringing the lurgy he was looking for. His answer was priceless. We have no jurisdiction over them so we come to you because we do have jurisdiction. State of NZ today sadly.

• Upvote 1

yup!

Just read the 8pg FAQ.  Here is their actual take on it - also in the Priceless category!

What about all the large vessels discharging ballast water – are they
responsible for bringing marine pests in?
Ballast water exchange is already covered by Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)
regulations intended to minimise the risk of marine pest spread. Vessels must
exchange water well offshore outside New Zealand’s territorial limits where there is
no habitat for marine pests to survive. No ballast water may be discharged in NZ
waters unless it meets the MPI standards.  
Over the past decade, the vast majority of new marine pest introductions globally
have been attributed to hull biofouling.

So as long as they are "outside the environment" where there is no habitat for marine pests to survive they are okay!

Of course its a bit of a straw man arguement - is MPI also diving on these vessels prior to them "re-entering the environment" to ensure their fouling is to an acceptable level?

What about all the large vessels discharging ballast water – are theyresponsible for bringing marine pests in?

Ballast water exchange is already covered by Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)

regulations intended to minimise the risk of marine pest spread. Vessels must

exchange water well offshore outside New Zealand’s territorial limits where there is

no habitat for marine pests to survive. No ballast water may be discharged in NZ

waters unless it meets the MPI standards.  

Over the past decade, the vast majority of new marine pest introductions globally

have been attributed to hull biofouling.

When I was the man in charge of one of my company's multi purpose general cargo tweendeckers, we would arrive in Auckland with the lower holds and tweendecks full of second hand cars, and the weather decks full two or three high with containers. Consequently, we carried a lot of ballast. Almost a complete cargo discharge in Auckland. Then to Bluff where we loaded aluminium ingot into the lower holds and then onto Tauranga where we maxed out the remaining hold cargo spaces with wood pulp before finishing off with containers on deck. Ingot and pulp is a lot heavier than cars so ballast tanks were constantly adjusted during the coastal component of the voyage.

The rules state that ballast water should be exchanged deep sea, but this is often not possible. Ballast water is not just for stability but also to keep shear forces and bending moments within limits. If you're getting close to the 100% on the last two because of the disposition of cargo within the vessel then no one is going to risk the safety of the ship by dicking around exchanging ballast at sea, but the logbook may well state that you did!

And we all know where it ends up.

Gollygosh Chrisc, it sounds like you are implying MPI imposed regulations that aren't possible (or safe) to comply with. That's absurd. MPI are a major government ministry, everything they decree is logical, practical and well thought through.