Gollygosh Chrisc, it sounds like you are implying MPI imposed regulations that aren't possible (or safe) to comply with. That's absurd. MPI are a major government ministry, everything they decree is logical, practical and well thought through.

Thread drift, but on a recent ferry boat ride I sat next to a DOC manager on his way to some island or other who told me the standard DOC line with complete sincerity that yachties were banned from certain locations due to the well known fact that yachts bilges were alive with rats and other vermin that posed an unacceptable risk to native wildlife.

Fish - the regulation is possible to be complied with and does not impose a safety issue.  It's merely that ways to comply are, in the eyes of the shipping lines, eating into their profit, which in turn call the viability of our exports into question.

• Downvote 1

He's right. I know with complete certainty its not possible to take my yacht above the high tide line on Tiritiri Matangi. In-fact I'm fairly sure I can't take my yacht onto just about every island in the Gulf.

Fish - the regulation is possible to be complied with and does not impose a safety issue.  It's merely that ways to comply are, in the eyes of the shipping lines, eating into their profit, which in turn call the viability of our exports into question.

I think in a round about way we are saying the same thing. In your context, the regulations aren't effective for various reasons to do with enforcement and economic cost. I'm saying the regulations aren't effective due to practicality, albeit I was saying that in a factitious way. The upshot is that instead of addressing the fan worm issue at the root cause (shipping), its much easier to go after the soft target of recreational yachties.

Yeh mate - I fully understood your intended tone and agree entirely with your response.  The problem lies with the fractuious governance structure we have in this country (one of the reasosns the productivity commision report came out so daming of the RMA yesterday). 

In this instance, the territorial authorities are required by law to manage, maintain and protect the coastal waterways but are not permitted interfere with the oversight carried out by MPI whoe deal directly with the "upshot issue" - can't blame the TA's for that. 

In the construction/ design industry we have exactly the same issue with the Bulding Act and the way it is administered by differing RTA's. - i's just ridiculous - and don't get me started on the "safety in design" BS that comes into play under the H&S Act.

Similarly you have differing "plans" for where/ when/ how/ by whom you wear lifejackets depending on which jurisdiction you might happen to have stumbled into - Seriously - WTF!

I think the entire governance structure in this country needs review - chucked out - overhauled - rebuilt from the ground up!

The problem lies with the fractuious governance structure we have in this country (one of the reasosns the productivity commision report came out so daming of the RMA yesterday). 

In this instance, the territorial authorities are required by law to manage, maintain and protect the coastal waterways but are not permitted interfere with the oversight carried out by MPI whoe deal directly with the "upshot issue" - can't blame the TA's for that. 

I think the entire governance structure in this country needs review - chucked out - overhauled - rebuilt from the ground up!

You've hit the nail on head. the root cause of a lot of issues with the country.

Not sure what to do about it. Wonder if there will be any viable options in the upcoming general election.

fan worm is merely a filter and poses no risk

Uses[edit]

The European fan worm is able to bioaccumulate bacteria and has a profound effect on the marine bacterial environment. Microbes build up in the worm and are present at much higher concentrations in its tissues than in the surrounding water and this means the worm can be used as a bioindicator. It is efficient at filtering out Vibrio spp. bacteria that are pathogenic to fish and shellfish and can cause foodborne illness in man. It can also potentially be used for remediation of polluted water near sewage outlets.[6]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabella_spallanzanii

HT - the issue is whether it will compete with native filters thereby upsetting the ecosystem - noone knows

Interestingly I found this recently,

http://www.environmentguide.org.nz/issues/marine/marine-biosecurity/im:2097/

Apparently MPI have "decided" that its no longer feasible to erradicate fanworm yet they are working with TA's - ???

Tried to cross-reference this with info on MPI's website.  Search their site for fanworm and you get multiple hits - try an open them and they are no longer reposited there - f88kin joke.

gave up - took another sip from my pint and then felt a bit better knowing that I did infact do my bit to help reduce the fanworm population in the Tamaki River at least!

• Upvote 1

HT - the issue is whether it will compete with native filters thereby upsetting the ecosystem - noone knows

Interestingly I found this recently,

http://www.environmentguide.org.nz/issues/marine/marine-biosecurity/im:2097/

Apparently MPI have "decided" that its no longer feasible to erradicate fanworm yet they are working with TA's - ???

Tried to cross-reference this with info on MPI's website.  Search their site for fanworm and you get multiple hits - try an open them and they are no longer reposited there - f88kin joke.

gave up - took another sip from my pint and then felt a bit better knowing that I did infact do my bit to help reduce the fanworm population in the Tamaki River at least!

Try using the Wayback Machine. 

http://archive.org/web/

wow - that works!

Here's the paper referring to arrival of fanworm into Lyttleton and Auckland.  Suggests it was probably introduced in '07 - 1st detected in Lyttleton 03/07, Auckland 08/10 - decision to suspend culls 02/10 - elimination efforts abandoned by MAF in 06/10 - paper submitted in 12/10.

So MPI (then MAF) let it in in '07 but had given up trying to fight it by 02/'10 - wonder if the TA's got the memo!

In 2013 they publish this

http://www.mpi.govt.nz/document-vault/3688

Oh - and of course in 12/16 they had the arrogance to publish this - 6 years after they gave up trying to stop the spread!

http://www.mpi.govt.nz/document-vault/10643

ai-2011-6-3-read-etal.pdf

In all seriousness, we can bitch and moan on here, or we can do something about it.

Northland Regional Council are consulting on this plan now.

They are running ads in this months issue of Boating NZ, specifically asking for feedback on the Regional Pest Plan, and the Navigation Safety Bylaw.

There isn't going to be enough wind this weekend to bother going sailing anywhere (and its going to rain some more), so why not sue that time to make submissions to these plans.

Submissions page here:

http://www.nrc.govt.nz/Your-Council/Have-your-say/

Submission close Friday 21st April, loads of time, no excuses.

Tell them what you think.

• Upvote 1

In all seriousness, we can bitch and moan on here, or we can do something about it.

They are running ads in this months issue of Boating NZ, specifically asking for feedback on the Regional Pest Plan, and the Navigation Safety Bylaw.

There isn't going to be enough wind this weekend to bother going sailing anywhere (and its going to rain some more), so why not sue that time to make submissions to these plans.

Submissions page here:

What, are they gonna have a fleet of council enforcers whizzing around anchorages annoying the fu*k out of people on their boats.  And what for? For a so called "pest' that is here already? $480K budget PA to enforce?

What are they gonna do if you just give them a false name and address if you don't meet their fouling standards?

I actually need to read the "Marine Pest and Marine Pathway Management Plan" and the "Annual Plan & Charging Policy" before I can answer you with any honesty, but they already have teams charging around ambushing boats in anchorages in the BoI. You could possible with hold your details or give false details, but if they think your bum is dirty, you have to put your rum down then and there and go for a commercial haul out, at your cost, on the spot.

Personally I think its worth the 20 min to send a submission by the internet. Strangely, this is how a 'democracy' actually works, regardless of if you think the consultation process is bollocks, it is the mechanism to effect change.

You can of course send a more detailed and reasoned submission, but it would take longer than 20 mins.

Submissions page here:

Ha Ha we have a 35 mile drifter sunday.

Any way fan worm I have noticed,it will grow on new antifoul,we did it 6 weeks ago and can see it starting already,probably attached to silt on hull,Tamiki river,  Another overlooked problem is the asian crab,type of paddle around nungaruu?  and marsden pt,destroying shell fish beds.    Nz cut its biosuruity budget about 6 yrs ago and now we are paying the price,remember the AK harbour bridge clipons??thats where the pacific oyster came in and has taken over our rock oyster/The fan worm may not be attractive or useful but do not think it will do much harm and dig deep enough probably already exist opua marina.  announced last month that MPI??will monitor ship ballast and to make sure dropped outside 200 mile zone,really?more like as they past little barrier

I see the NRC justification spiel has trailer boats as not being in the water long enough for things to attach. Not one mention of how many now have ballast tanks so will be carrying water from place to place. Not that stuff ever moves around the country that way... rock snot anybody?

The way the Doc is written is screaming 'new fees and charges will be here shortly like it or not'. A couple of piss poor justification points then straight into 'What power do we have to charge you?' followed by give us money justifications. You know when its done like that fees and charges are a done deal and its in the softening up phase.

I think you would be able to write a really compelling submission KM. You should write one.

Started sussing the NRC consultation documentation.

For the Navigation bylaw, they want anyone snorkeling to display a dive flag.

WTF!?

Don't snorkelers normally swim in shallow water around rocks and outcrops?

I'm not sure how a snorkeler is supposed to display a dive flag, but what is the point of that?

Its very similar to saying that 'anyone swimming at the beach must display a dive flag'.

Is there some place in Northland where snorkelers are known to frequent the same pieces of open water boats transit?

No it is called Empire building, the foundation have been being quietly built for some time, I posted to an online survey (I think by NRC) with my views and concerns, whether they listen or not, I think we will find that they think they know best I guess we will soon find out.

With MPI and various other Govt. Organisations giving up on Fan worm you must wonder what is the driving force behind the stance NRC is taking.

All the Northland Teritorial authorities a year or two back were almost in agreement to do away with the NRC altogether. So now maybe NRC is trying to become too big to be got rid off.

NRC apparently doesn't have enough money from their current take from ratepayers etc. etc. to carry out the functions it thinks it should be responsible for. Yet they have just given almost 2 million dollars to the Hundertwasser project in central Whangarei. ???

• Upvote 1

Boat owners are such an easy target,according to the ACT leader David Seymour,we are all "rich pricks" made that statement last April the 9th 2016 at fish symposium meeting I attended,will never forget that comment.

• Upvote 1