• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Nzgrant

Nzgrant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

During a walk around Hamilton this morning I was amazed at how many houses arent used as accomodation but are used as offices or brothels. These are all there with the consent of council.

Is this yet annother reason that councils are to blame for the housing issues we have. After all just what I saw this morning would have housed a lot of families in need if the houses were used for their intended purpose.

Does every city block need a brothel a lawyer and an accountant let alone the dentists, surveyers etc. or should these professions be in the cbd?

#2 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

I think the bigger issue is Housing NZ. There are hundreds of Families in desperate need, but they are told they do not fit the criteria for a home. So the Houses sit empty. Then because they sit empty, the Minister says that there is no need for them and then wants to sell them off. Although I suspect the sell off is more due to that fact that the Gvt has made the law that all Rentals must meet the new Insulation requirements by ehhh.....some date coming up sometime really soon. The Gvt is also trying to unload all the state houses to the Salvation Army, but they have a whole lot of stipulations and the Army is not sure they want to be involved. They are still trying to decide that. One of them is that HNZ will have a say in who goes into them and that could put pressure on retired elderly already in them.
Oh and some families needing homes are being put into Motels and they are clocking up huge debt these Families have no way of repaying back. It's all become ridiculous.

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

Does every city block need a brothel a lawyer and an accountant let alone the dentists, surveyers etc. or should these professions be in the cbd?

Yes each block should have that and NO to the CBD.

In Auckland the drive by the council to have everything in the CBD is the very reason we have such bad congestion. It's also a big contributor to poor health, poor environment, excessive offshore debt, total bullshit house prices in some areas, the lack of services and services being withdrawn from many areas so they can afford to feed the CBD and a huge raft of other social woes. But as the council stands to have a huge financial windfall from said congestion they are ensuring it is here to stay and in some places they are actively encouraging greater congestion. Auckland proves a city with a CBD and no real city planners can only lead to poor outcomes all over the place.

If the desire is there they can build a dwelling on top of the brothels, lawyers, accountant, dentists and surveyors. The Tron would be a better place if they did.

#4 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

A large amount of the housingstock have been allowed to deteriorate so badly that they are considered beyond repair and cannot be used for accommodation, it must be Govt policy or it wouldn't be happening, not much different to the railways being too costly to bring up to standard after everybody has had a go at leaching it dry.

#5 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

If the desire is there they can build a dwelling on top of the brothels, lawyers, accountant, dentists and surveyors.

Wouldn't a building full of lawyers, accountant, dentists and surveyors be called a Brothel?
I imagine the ladies of the night would want a place of business with less unscrupulous tenants. ;-)

#6 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

A large amount of the housingstock have been allowed to deteriorate so badly that they are considered beyond repair and cannot be used for accommodation,

Yes correct. A very large percentage has also been made unlivable due to P manufacturing. Easy to blame the druggies, but also just as easy to blame the fact that obviously no one was looking after the Houses and inspecting them.
When the RNZAF gave up all the houses at Hobbsonville, the first asked HNZ if they wanted them. HNZ said sorry, they are not in a good enough condition for rental. Ha, yet we had to live in them. And we never thought they were that bad. Sure, they were once uninsulated and in Blenheim, that made them cold. In Auckland, they were fine.

#7 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

Wouldn't a building full of lawyers, accountant, dentists and surveyors be called a Brothel?
I imagine the ladies of the night would want a place of business with less unscrupulous tenants. ;-)

That is a good point.

There was a article in the northern whatever not long ago about a house used by some ladies that entertain gents and the reporter asked the boss lady if they had received much negativity. She said the odd comment was chucked at them but generally people were OK with it as they were discreet and tidy. But she had also had quite a few comments, some she suspected were jokingly said, about the place need door being more seedy. Apparently the place next door houses 2 lawyers :)

You could tell the reporter was having some fun with the article.

#8 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

There are only two ways to slove a housing crisis (yes crisis). It's supply and demand - build more houses or have fewer people.

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#9 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

There are only two ways to slove a housing crisis (yes crisis). It's supply and demand - build more houses or have fewer people.

To do that first you have to address why there is a supply problem.

And that is all council related. Overly restrictive boundaries, totally bullshit hoops to jump thought to even get a permit and councillors pushing their agenda which isn't the one the public want.

Which is why our 2 Akl places are staying single dwelling with massive amounts of grass. Bar one which is slowing becoming Bayswaterviel, like Gloriaviel but without the bad touching and silly names.

#10 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

There's a supply problem because no one is building houses. It is possible local authorities need to shoulder some blame. It is also likely that central govt shares some blame. Having the two sniping at each other while neither does anything is counterproductive.

But until someone builds some houses (or an epidemic wipes out 20% of our population) things will not get better.

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users