• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

Howdy, I'm thinking of planning a trip up there to get the family onto the idea of cruising with a day trip or two around Able Tasman and Motueka looks like the closest most suitable launching area.

Looking on the charts the depth looks ok, I draw 0.46m with the keel up. Are there any other things to be mindful of? Is the bar tricky?

Thanks

#2 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

Nah, you'll be fine. The bar can be working, especially in an outgoing tide and onshore wind. Common in the afternoon, as a sea breeze. As always check the forecast. Heaps of trailer yachts in Able Tasman, many dry out in the lagoons, usually using lagoon legs. It's a great place! The family will love it :-)

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#3 wild violet

wild violet

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

Kaiteriteri is easier and closer to the park mot has a lot of current and is very shallow at low tide.Bark bay is awesome you can get in behind spit at high tide and dry out beside toilets and cooking area

#4 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

Kaiteriteri doesn't have a jetty though does it? Driving off is near impossible on my yacht as reverse is like running an unguided missile.

#5 jim s

jim s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

we did the same as you are proposing a couple of years ago - the mot channel goes a fair way out and on the return trip some unexpected rain/poor visibility made it a bit tricky to find the first bouy, otherwise a nice sail.

#6 wild violet

wild violet

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

No jetty at kaiteri just a nice wide ramp sheltered from the sea breeze would be my first choice uusually no wind in there

#7 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

Thanks guys. Looks like I've got some planning to do, the first step is convincing the boss😂

#8 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,020 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:35 AM

Keep an eye out for another Trailer Sailor by the name of Hawkeye. That's my Cousin and he has just moved from Wellington back to CHCH, where he grew up. He and his own family have spent yrs sailing from Wellington Harbor across to Able Tasman and this last summer, he Towed the Boat up there. So he will have lots of good info for you. He will also be spending a lot more time sailing Lyttleton harbor where he grew up Sailing with his Parents and siblings sailing.

#9 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:32 AM

Hi wheels what's he sailing?

#10 w44vi

w44vi

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip