Catamarans that are a little sailing focussed?

As you all know Im looking to buy a liveaboard, Im actually considering sooner rather than later now as a marina berth is a lot cheaper than rent (got out of property market before the slippery slope).

I watched a brilliant video that explained price, performance, comfort and the more you move to one the more you lose in the others.

Id actually like a Cat that isnt needing its engine all the time, Im not after 20knots, but just movement in lighter winds. But I also want really nice levels of open feeling upstairs.

They talked about daggers a lot and rudders, also the shape of the entry. Then talked about Masts. And generally I accepted what the expert said that the racing cat masts are a waste of time on a cruiser but carbon fibre he believe was worth the weight gain/loss. 

So now my question is, whats a cat that doesnt cost more than $300k that has this kind of set up? I just want some models to mull over and maybe go take a look with the Mrs. She is coming around to the idea of liveaboard. A good size cat is actually not much smaller than our apartment, yikes.

Im thinking 40ft~

as you've read

if you want to be able to point well enough to not spend a lot of time with the engine/s getting upwind

you want daggers

problem being daggerboards don't really go with; production, liveaboard, 40' cats

more plan built which can be very expensive in glass + foam 

or pretty basic in glass over ply 

but there is stuff about

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/multihull/auction-1300877177.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/multihull/auction-1271620953.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/multihull/auction-1300869840.htm

If the Given checked out ok (glass over ply, hull condition?) it's a real bargain. Would sail well & a nice layout. The Atlantic 46 that Eric found has the worst layout for a cruising cat that I've ever seen! Sorry Eric. ;-)

As someone previously said, if you want to sail & point you need boards. Fixed keels, mini keels etc. won't do it.

And while the Outremer's sail beautifully, the skinny hulls & low headroom in the saloon make them a pretty tough sell for a live aboard unless you really like tight spaces, or are a pygmy.

Schionning's are nice & sail well, don't like too much weight so if you like too many creature comforts (genset, watermaker, dive compressor?) they are not for you.

Think more basic & snorkeling, and not a house full of junk and you'd be great. McMoggy was a great example that was here, beautiful cruiser that could hold her own in the coastal classic.

But not 300K either.

Some of the earlier Hill cats would fit the bill, but not too many around & closely held.

And the common French production stuff, Fontaine's & Lagoon's are too far to the comfort side of the envelope. Fat hulls, no boards, almost motor sailors really. (waits for hate mail)

Happy hunting. 

While dagger boards can help a well designed fixed keel cat will climb well enough to windward.

Weight is the real enemy in cruising cats, long skinny hulls help a lot.

I'm a Grainger fan but if you really want bang for your buck:

http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/Outremer-38-43-2959202/Panama#.WPWlavl96M8

While the Outremer 43 light is a great boat this one is a bit overpriced, this is basically the 38 with a bit whacked on the back at the factory. Any of the Outremer light series is worth looking at - they essentially take the base version and extend them to add waterline without adding much weight. Personally I would like to get hold of an Outremer 55 light, perfect cruising boat for 1 or 2 couples and capable of very fast and safe ocean passages. 

Asking price and what you actually pay for it are quite different, especially if it is in the San Blas where buyers are few and far between.

Lovely spot by the way.

Vorpal blade if you find a 55 light for under NZD300k can you PM me?

Awesome boats.

If the Given checked out ok (glass over ply, hull condition?) it's a real bargain. Would sail well & a nice layout. The Atlantic 46 that Eric found has the worst layout for a cruising cat that I've ever seen! Sorry Eric. ;-)

it's reaaaally kind of sus

they way no inside pics were posted

but hey!

whatever gets the conversation flowing

ps

the opinions of owners, sailors like vb, bk etc

far outweigh

my own theoretical  tyre kicker musings

The Given Cat follows Ron's standard construction details for the design, strip plank cedar hulls and wing deck, decks, cabin top in ply/foam/ply sándwich.

I have no vested interest in the boat, but know it checked out well for a prospective buyer