Photo

What to look for in an inflatable dinghy as a yacht tender?

inflatable dinghy tender

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:14 PM

I'm looking at getting an inflatable dinghy as a yacht tender but what should I consider? I figure the collective knowledge and experience here should be able to point me in the right direction. I'm looking for something that can carry at least three people but I can stow on the foredeck of a 9.5m yacht and be able to drag up the beach and launch single-handed so not crazy heavy or large. I'm tending to an alloy RIB but I'm open to suggestions given a good reason. I don't have an unlimited budget so second-hand is also an option. What should I avoid and what should I look for?

#2 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,788 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

if you decide an alloy rib I have one in need of a retube you can have really cheap (pick up from Weiti), pay for the retube and you'd have a very good rib

Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#3 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

I should add that the yacht will be on a mooring and I'm planning to spend a fair bit of time onboard cruising. I also like exploring and snorkelling/diving so needs to be a bit better than just for the occasional trip to the beach or another boat. 

#4 clareb

clareb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:47 PM

Don't get one that's too big. We did and it was a real pain to get on/off solo and we couldn't fit it easily on the foredeck. We got a smaller one with the next boat and it's much easier.

#5 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:49 PM

Hi we have lotus inflatable soft bottom , 2.5 , good value ,from oddie marine in the south , strong tubes , good pump positions , the floor is soft so we purchased two sleeping bag liners from the warehouse ,a 10 mill foam rubber mats and glued two of them together and fitted into the floor space loose ,that makes it feel like you have a hard floor and you can stand in it , it has a good rub rail around the tubes for pontoons and your yacht. ,and easy to lift onto the yacht ,lay in the deck , check them out , they come with pump , repares kit , stow bag , and a full over cover for when on deck ,

#6 Toltec

Toltec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:53 AM

We replaced our inflatable 2 years ago ended up going for a aquapro it is light and had the bigger tubes trouble with the smaller tubes is you quite often get a wet bum if they are slightly soft especially at night as the temperature cools a lot of the cheaper hard bottom ones can be heavy.we used to have a protecter thought that was great had it for 10 years but didn't realise how heavy it was until we changed

#7 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:15 AM

If you're want to stow it on the deck of a 9.5m boat then stick to soft bottom hulls to keep the weight down. I went for the SP240, but got the factory to up-spec the davit points to use wooden oars rather the the Ali ones. I'm also changing out the plastic bait board slats to composite this winter to cut a bit more weight out. Pimp your pump up!
As Carl says - the smaller tubes can tend to get you a little wet but really only in a chop under motor.
After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#8 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

The trend is for bigger and bigger tubes and wider boats, so the challenge for a yachty is to find a boat that is narrow enough to go on deck without blocking vision and letting you get around it. I bought an AB RIB a few years ago because of that, 1500 wide from memory, and I strongly suggested that my friend who had an old 1400 wide RIB retubed for the same reason.. Unfortunately my AB is raw ali . I thought that would be better than painted because of all the bubbling powercoat you see, but it isn't, I wouldn't recommend one of those.

#9 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:25 AM

Got the SP 2.4 alloy, small tubes. Easy to get aboard but aluminium toerails help as you dont have to be too careful. Wouldn't get a softy again, inflatable floors are a problem, hold water...heavy. None of the oar/rollocks combos are particularly good  on any inflatable but wooden oars are better. Have broken plastic rollocks, and ruined alloy oars on several occasions. For a small boat, that said I would consider a roll up but only if I could not get a hard bottom to fit.

Small boat-small tubes, bigger boat big tubes.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#10 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

Hey BP how long is your tubeless RiB and what brand was it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inflatable, dinghy, tender

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users