Composite gas bottles

Never yet seen one for sale. I had to throw out a couple bought offshore as they had different fittings to NZ bottles. Shame, they are cool, and you can see the liquid level through the side! :-)

I have two that came with my boat - they are Aussie . Unfortunately as KM mentioned - no one will fill them here as the manufacturer hasn't bothered to go through the red tape and register them in NZ which is a shame as they are so convenient for the marine environment - they don't rust and you see the liquid levels . I think there is a method of cross filling them from a full bottle however I haven't found it very successful ( maybe my technique isn't quite right - but you lose a bit of the gas) .

I got them filled when I cruised in the Islands where they didn't worry about the certification and really wish I could get them filled here..

The correct method is not to open the bleed valve, but to pump the gas into the bottle under pressure to specified weight of gas. Most wont have the gear for that.

The dodgy way via gravity is to put one bottle up high, and the one to be filled down low. Open both valves, and then the bleed valve in the lower one once the sound stops. When white liquid comes out the bleed valve, its (over) full. That's the common way in 3rd world countries, and it does vent a fair bit of gas. DONT SMOKE!!! :wtf:

Oh yeah, that will overfill the bottles, and they will then vent if left in the sun or get too hot. Make certain your gas locker IS sealed to the boat, and vents overboard as it should.

The correct method is not to open the bleed valve, but to pump the gas into the bottle under pressure to specified weight of gas. Most wont have the gear for that.

The dodgy way via gravity is to put one bottle up high, and the one to be filled down low. Open both valves, and then the bleed valve in the lower one once the sound stops. When white liquid comes out the bleed valve, its (over) full. That's the common way in 3rd world countries, and it does vent a fair bit of gas. DONT SMOKE!!! :wtf:

Put the receiving bottle on a set of scales to monitor it as it's filling and you shouldn't overfill.

I have tried filling one using gravity but it isn't straight forward as you need the full one inverted so the liquid will run out and the empty one obviously below it ... As IT said when you open the bleed you do lose some -Needs to be a well ventilated place but I never really achieved a very satisfactory fill so gave up. Possibly my timing of releasing the bleed valve was wrong ?

we get 4kg bottles filled in manurewa at the www.cylex.co.nz/company/wormald+cylinder+test+station-17952672.html

most are doing swappa bottles 9kg due to compliance costs of running a fill station,hence why 4kg may become obsolete

I wonder what the anual statistics are on explosions, injuries or deaths at NZ at petrol stations.  Presumably we would "hear" about the first - most other noteworthy news is crap in comparison!

But seriously I'm assuming that you'll still be able to go to the bigger filling stations - just a bit further to go.  In the end I think I'll end up with a spare set of bottles - that way you can have a full set ready to go and fill the empty set "on your way past" a bigger station.  A little more inconvenient but what else can you do if the free market economy dictates that its no longer viable to have multiple filling stations throughout the city due to safety compliance concerns (as opposed to actual safety concerns which presumably they would have already actually addressed by now rather than just expend multiple forecourts and attendants!)

Of the Petrol Stations, Caltex seem to be the most likely to have LPG bottle refilling, I have used the one in Constellation Dr on occasion.

Some hire companíes have filling facilities and there is Rockgas out in Henderson

Apart from the above, look for the industrial gas suppliers, in Warkworth we get LPG from the local BOC agent, Mahurangi Sheetmetals