Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

Note AON is a bróker, not an insurer.
I gave up on them due to lack of service/interest and moved to Baileys

Opps correct, a re read shows Lumley for my beast.

I've found AON very good and very proactive in getting what I need not what seems easiest. But then my insurance bill is larger than your ordinary one due to all the work related crap and the marinas insisting we have cover for sh*t that doesn't affect them in the slightest, the useless wankers!!! Recently we, and many in the industry, raised prices to cover new requirements by Westhaven marina. They want us covered for sh*t that has nothing to do with or affects them but when anyone said no they cut off access to the marina, wankers!!! That extra cost us a couple of K a year in premiums, gawd knows how much it cost the big fellas. So that's yet another cost placed on the berth owners by Westhaven, no wonder a berth has become about the same price as gold.

#32 Elliot749

Elliot749

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:48 PM

I have my yacht Insurance with NZI , organised by friendly broker whom I've used to insure business / properties / vehicles. Very painless process , and I thought it quite cheap ( we didn't need cover for racing )

#33 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:06 PM

My focus is on value rather than just about price. How easy is it to claim and be paid out when it's needed is the acid test.

#34 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:14 PM

KM, is that new insurance the Ship Repairers Insurance?
I reckon that is something the insurance industry dreamed up to squeeze yet more premiums, saying their general third party policies did not provide the coverage they had previously told you it did, and the marinas jumped at it for more CYA.
At Sandspit there is a group policy which contractors pay (I think) $300 to sign on to.

#35 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,872 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

now thats a good idea! I have Ship repairers insurance - it's a couple of K per year, just to be able to get into the marinas :-(

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#36 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:36 PM

KM, is that new insurance the Ship Repairers Insurance?

Yeap, but it's not new but has been pretty much for those who deal with big boats where dropping a screw driver can mean a $1,000,000 repaint job.

The Marinas have called for it, not the insurance people. Why the marinas want it as it has absolutely nothing to do with them, we have to have a different insurance to cover us if we hurt anything marina related, is what many are wondering and of course the marinas can't or simply won't tell you.

It's bullshit really as it is all been added to the cost of living in marinas. We are about to introduce a 'Westhaven Marina charge' just to cover the costs imposed by them for us to get in there to do work. It doesn't seem fair to make everyone pay when not everyone is in Westhaven and it is now adding up to many 1000's a year increasing fast.

#37 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

Good idea KM - user pays.

In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate. Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.

#38 darkside

darkside

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

I'm insured through AON with Cunningham Lindsay.

I had a claim for over $40k a couple of years back (hit a rock at some pace).

They were great to deal with, prompt payout etc.

#39 smithy09

smithy09

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationMairangi Bay

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

Insured with Mariner. Never an issue. Had a big payment for a mast that crumpled a few years back. Prompt payment and no argument.

Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users