Takeing on water.

Guest shane

if its the old style with packing get 2 wrenches,back off one nut,the one towards stern and wind forward nut towards back nut,depending on gland should 6mm/8// packing material,once nipped up check grease in cap,usually on top of gland,fill with with grease and wind cap down,when stationary no drip,when motoring should get a slight one /two drips per minute,not a big job but usually in a tight place with limited access,what sort of yacht do you have now Shane?any pictures.

What is people's opinions of doing this while still in the Water? Doable, or wait until on the hard stand or piles? I'm guessing there will be a bit of ingress of Brinney but what is too much.... and don't say that which can't be dealt with by the bilge pump....

Shane, there are three sizes of stern gland stuffing. Once you back off the locking nut and undo the gland you will see what size... width stuffing you will need. What size diameter shaft have you Got? Mine is 1 inch and I have the middle size... can't recall what it is, around 4mm for memory. Fiddly getting the old compacted stuffing out, use tweezers or a dentist hooky thing

It's been about 5 years since I have last done mine, is that a long Time between Changes?

No not usually. As the stuffing wears, you tweak the Nut or the two side bolts if you that kind of stuffing box. It's when you run out of tweak that the stuffing needs replacing.

There are several types of stuffing. The more common greasy hemp type, the white Teflon type and you can also get one made from Gortex, although never used or even seen the stuff. Not sure how ot would be any better than Teflon.

It's important to follow the instructions on how to wrap it and in which direction and then how to tighten it correctly.

NEVER over tighten packing. You need just a few drips of water per minute, or the material will become too dry and will wear the shaft.

Many old style stern glands have a cup greaser which needs a part turn when you leave the boat. The best modification you can make to those is get a remote greaser,which is basically a grease gun with a tube, permanently mounted where you can get to it easily.

Many old style stern glands have a cup greaser which needs a part turn when you leave the boat. The best modification you can make to those is get a remote greaser,which is basically a grease gun with a tube, permanently mounted where you can get to it easily.

I had a pressure type bottle that screwed on,auto greaser,when you put your stuffing in(usualy 2 strips)make sure that the joins are 180 degrees to each other,so water cannot get through join.

What is people's opinions of doing this while still in the Water? Doable, or wait until on the hard stand or piles? I'm guessing there will be a bit of ingress of Brinney but what is too much.... and don't say that which can't be dealt with by the bilge pump....

It's doable, but you would want to have all your packing pre-cut and ready to go, plus the little hooks you need to get the old stuff out. There will be a fair bit of water depending on how worn the bearing is!  You get an idea when you remove the grease cup to re-pack it. the grease cup goes on the seaward side of the packing.. You could maybe just replace the outer 2 packings, and leave the inner one for when the boat is next out of the water. This would surely stop most leaks?