Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:55 PM
Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:08 AM
I have not seen the Video, so cannot comment. But my understanding is that the RV did not make it past the vehicle that is about 300m to 400m inside the drift. No where near where Bodies would likely be, another nearly 2K in.
I also don't know where the "Brain washed believing they died in first blood" comes from. They most likely would have died in that first blast and the thing is, Whittle knew this. What he was wrong in suggesting was that they were still alive and they were going to stage a rescue. It would be very near impossible to live through a Blast pressure of the magnitude the first explosion was, even though it was much smaller than the first. Remember that the first blast rendered unconscious, the two guys in the Drift, who where only ruffly 300m in from the entrance. the pressure of the blast at it's source some 2K further in would have been magnitudes higher and hotter.
Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:57 AM
Plenty of mine experts believe it can be done no prob. I have no doubt at all that it can be done safely. We can send people into space and deep in to the ocean but we can't tackle a coal mine all of a sudden?
I bet if Donkey had shares in the mine and coal was still turning a profit that the bodies would be long buried and the families at peace.
Also seems funny that farmers get fined thousands of dollars for not wearing a helmet yet 29 people die on Peter Whittall's watch and he walks Scot free.
The whole thing stinks of suits looking after suits
Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:34 AM
According to our H&S consultant, the new H&S laws were brought in to prevent another "Pike river". It smells a little fishy that Bill English is now using these new laws to prevent anyone going down there.
In fact, something needs to be cleared up here. English/Gvt has no call on anyone going in to the Mine. That is a thing being pushed by Winston and Little. Very simply, it is H&S only. The mine MUST be safe per the law to be able to be entered. So far it does not meet the legal requirement to allow that. If some one goes in there and the Mine Pops it socks again, then the ones that went in would be done( if still alive) and the powers above them would be done. So no one is actually putting their hands up, apart from many that do not understand the dangers, or are just take the risk and go.
Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:45 PM
And not all of the families want the mine re-entered. The ones totally against it rarely get interviewed.
My brother in law who was an underground miner at huntly got asked to work there and turned it down because everyone in the industry knew it was unsafe and a bunch of cowboys from top to bottom long before the explosion.
Choosing a boat based on resale value is a bit like picking a girlfriend based on how desirable other guys might find her after you break up.
Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:50 PM
Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:19 PM
There is only one level. The Coal Seam is about 7m thick. It's the Brunner Coal Seam the Pike River Mine is working.
But I think what you are referring to are the possible 6 Men working in a different area to where the main group were thought to be.
If you look at the second Pic as if it were a birds eye view, or looking down on the Mine. It's all horizontal....although on a gradient.
Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:18 AM
I have watched a few hrs of the Video and found 99% of it all a tad boring. The 1% that was not totally boring was of an area where there had obviously been fire. The Tunnel walls were black and the Coal conveyor belt had burned away to non existent. The other 99% was just two guys mostly mucking about, taking some gas levels and setting up the RV cameras and then of the RV moving slowly through an endless tunnel. Every so many metres of travel, it would stop, they would swing one of 4 cameras around to the screen of a Gas detector that read 2.6 of something but the pic was so poor I could not tell what. I assume it was % of Methane, bit could be wrong. Then it swings to a temp meter which reads 20deg and that reduced to 18deg as the RV got further into the complex.
The vehicle that the two guys walked out from was a blackened mess and even though at that point the Tunnel walls looked clean, there was obviously enough heat at that point to cause the paint to burn off. There were a couple of tracked RV's that must have been blown along the tunnel floor and were on their sides, yet the rubber tracks and one had rubber tyres, looked OK and intact. I guess the tyres being right down on the ground escaped fire in that area. All n all, dead boring and I would recommend you hold off and wait for the sequel or perhaps the book.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users