35 replies to this topic

#31 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

Well I am quite sure if the cops were not blocking things off as they did , take charge ,, maybe the mine company or miners would had gone it to see what help is needed ,they New the mine. They New the situation going on , they new where all the men were at the time of the blast , it was the next day they were saying there was no hope for the miners , you have to believe what they say there police

#32 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Been jumped by a Seal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

Really?? What evidence was that? That comment was being used in a hypothetical scenario.

I am not sure what else you would expect. Something bad happens, someone is responsible for it happening, it's not an earthquake after all, so someone needs to be held accountable. When the waters get murky and hide who is the one/s that are in the wrong, then people will be pointing at any of the possible ripples in the water shouting Shark.

Yes people should be held accountable but in NZ too many punters want blood here, now, immediately!!!!!!!!!!!. They are not prepared to wait and find out who exactly is/are the ones who are really accountable. Look here on Crew when a nasty happens, within hours, often less, posters what someone hung, drawn and 1/4ed before the dust has settled, literally. The fishing boat over the Kaipara bar, within hours fingers were being pointed and comments made yet no one knew WTF had actually happened, they still don't (but now do have a fair idea of the most likely, report out shortly), and they hadn't even got all the crew back. Steve and Nick going to Fiji (nearly a year ago now), calls for head to roll based on no information of what really happened (where's the report, why the delay?). The examples are numerous.

Pike River, there were fingers being pointed before the second explosion happened, WTF????  No one, absolutely no one had any idea what had happen or was happening except it was something very bad. But that didn't stop far too many wanting to see someones blood flowing before lunch.

I do think a lot of the iffy Pike River outcome to date is due to public pressure being brought to hard too fast which has pushed people onto making calls and decisions in a rushed manner leading to sub optimal outcomes and lingering or problems further down the process. The whole process smacks of public appeasement, not getting to the bottom of all everyone really should then pointing the bone.

I also very much think the publics desire to see heads role is a very large reason why SAR weren't allowed in, no one was willing to face the public backlash should they have gone in and then got nailed themselves. Any sane person, including those who would have been physically going in themselves, knew going in was going to be exceptional hazardous and there was a high chance they could suffer the same fate. But people do do that to help others in need knowing that risk exists.

We need to let processes run to find out who needs to be arse kicked not just dump on a 'quick he'll do shmuck before the public starts a riot', as we have seen happen too many times only to find out after a good suss 'Opps, got that a bit wrong, sorry'. I don;t mean they get 2 years but surely we can hold our water for a week or 2 and give people a chance.

#33 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

Thought about this and no I am not effected from the loss of a family member.But why re enter the mine?sure those that had a loss want to know why but leave the men rest in peace or do we start digging up other mine disasters?dennyson mine has bodies down there.

Let the family view the full video unedited and uninterrupted,unfortunately from my understanding the families were offered some form of financial help from acc?but turned it down.imo,hoping for a bigger payout if whittle was found accountable.

#34 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

How much time do the need for processes to run km? It's been 7 years and the people who were legally responsible for these men's safety have not been held to account.

#35 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Been jumped by a Seal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Way less than 7 years Sabre.

But Pike River had it's day in less than 3, maybe only 2, as the public demanded someone was held to account and they went to trial. The public wanted blood, the public were given it in the form of Whittle, the process ran it's course the best it legally could under the circumstances, just as the public demanded, now it's now done, dusted and the clock has stopped.

What's more all of that has given those not wanting to go back in, for whatever reason, all they need to say 'Nope'.

#36 Myjane

Myjane

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

The reason for getting the men out is an end for the family's , and the lessons to be learned , let the mine company rescue there own and they would had if let be , at some stage , an attempt would had been made , it has nothing to do with the health an safety , they wouldn't look in the mine , but only say it's unsafe ,to cover there ass , police the same , the mining engineers the same all giving there input , ASK the two guys that came out ,they would help , as they wanted to , and were shot down for saying so by the others ,so with all these presumpters who some never seen the mine 29 men could had been seen to , but no Sadly,, the mine people know how's to build mines shore up the walls and ceiling they built the mine and it would be operating now if this did not happen ok the health and safety of the mine was in question , but could had been seen to by the right people , but wasn't , they were all duck shoving to shed responsibility. ,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users