• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 swift_sail

swift_sail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

Hi, I need to make a trip to the top of the mast to replace nav lights and inspect/fix/replace a pulley potentially. Is the pulley size at the top fairly standard, any guesses what size I should consider getting before making the trip up there?

Any other pointers?

Cheers,

Johan

#2 smitty

smitty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:03 PM

Is the pulley for the main halyard or masthead kite?

#3 Crocket

Crocket

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:13 PM

I guess the question should be, has anyone been to the top of an SR 26 mast.

I know the original keel on Gaucho wasn't the heaviest around, but I would have thought a trip to the top of that mast may have resulted in it getting very close to the water, if not in the water. It was a very tippy boat though.

#4 swift_sail

swift_sail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

Its the masthead kite that I need to take a look at. Hmm fair comment Crocket, is there anybody on the forum that knows the answer?

This is Grey Goose and prior to that her name was New Force she has a little bulb on the keel.

#5 smitty

smitty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:58 PM

Haha no problems with going up the mast of an SR, going on the foredeck when sailing is a different matter.......

The standard keel with the small bulb are pretty heavy.  T-Rex old keel was over 750kg, new keel is 450kg.  New Force seemed pretty stiff the few times I sailed near in a breeze.

I'm pretty sure my masthead block is a Ronstan 40 series, it does seem a little on the small size but has been fine over 6 years.  Someone like Marshy or Booboo would know for definite the best size.

#6 ScottiE

ScottiE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

A 40 does seem a little light. Also most of those 40's only have plastic side plates which can get mashed up pretty quick.
After a decade or so of Euphoria . . . it's time to go Ballistic!
Anthony

#7 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:42 PM

A series 40 is fine, shitloads of load handling in those. A Series 40 basic block has a WLL of 400kg, break load over a tonne.

Just so happens I am sitting here with the Ronstan Cato sussing the bits for my beast. Some will be Ronstan and the rest is coming in from a Italian manufacturer NZ doesn't know about.

The real question is Swift-sail, Are you an overly fat bastard?

#8 B00B00

B00B00

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

Yeah 40 would be fine but feel free to put a bigger one on if you want less friction. If you do send someone up the rig, make sure they are very light and put halyards down to the dock or boats on either side. Thats what we always did on the jagged edge.

Seriously even 70kg at 10m high is likely to cause a capsize- we know this!

Just ask Damon....

#9 dkd

dkd

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

Enjoy the trip up there, scares the be-jesus out of me.

My youngest has been up the top on mine a couple of times and the boat just sat still, but he is a tad on the light side.

Have a pic somewhere of him up the top.

Judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
Simon Bolivar

#10 Freeeeeeeeeedom

Freeeeeeeeeedom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:22 AM

put halyards down to the dock or boats on either side. 

Good advice! I've been to the top of the mast on Trainsmash and I'm not small. It was all fine until Woody (also not small) stepped from the centreline to the side deck. Over we went and I grabbed onto the mast of the neighbouring boat to stop us going any further!

Used to be High'n'Fibre but I've seen the light and brought half of Freedom, a modified GBE - Adrian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users