A Remote Paradise Island Is Now a Plastic Junkyard

You are right KM. Re examining that Pic, I am pretty sure this could be the debris from a Fishing Boat that has founded and broken up on the beach or close to the Beach. There is not just Plastic, but pieces of Timber and other stuff and all of it too "singular" in origin. If it were general plastic floating the Sea's, then we would see all kinds. But this is mainly Fishing gear and pieces looking much like bits from a Boat.
To add, Henderson Island is part of the Pitcairn group and is small and pretty much in the middle of nowhere. If this Beach were covered in general floating plastics, then all Islands in the Pacific would have the same issues.

Interesting take KM and Wheels.

I guess the only way to know for sure, would be to go there and examine the rest of the Island,

Doesn't look like much of an anchorage if you went by boat.

17,000 kg of plastic on that island, according to that article.  That is just massive. It would mean the whole island should be covered in plastic debris, not just one section of beach.....interesting.

I watched a doco on a couple of young Norwegian guys a few years ago called North of the sun. They spent a winter living on a beach in the arctic circle, in dark and freezing conditions. The spent their time snowboarding on the hill behind the beach, and surfing (wearing thick dive wetsuits). When they got there, you could hardly see any sand. Currents made it a natural dumping ground for anything floating in the ocean. They made quite a sofiaticated hut out of debris that washed up. Over winter, made a wheelbarrow of sorts out of rubbish, and gathered 3 tonne of rubbish, then had it helicoptered out. 3 tonne, between 2 guys, in darkness, heavy snow cover and freezing conditions. There was a heap there, and more washed up as they cleared it away.

It does happen, naturally and not staged or caused by a wreck. When you see big patches of rubbish out at sea, it's currents that have brought it together, in some cases, there is land where the current brings it to. Seems a feesable explanation?

Although nowhere the same density as in the photo I was really disappointed when spending time in the Adriatic - Croatia ( 2 years ago) the amount of plastic floating around . There seemed little local awareness or initiatives to keep the area clear in an area that is vital for tourism and what would be the Countries biggest export earner . The contrast to how we try to protect our coastline here was really apparent .

Wheels and km I have seen this. Some places are more susceptible than others. In the 80s I went swimming on a pristine beach in the Solomon's. Was back a few years ago and to get to open water had to wade through 3 metres of garbage. I have no doubt that is real but it doesn't accumulate like that everywhere.just certain places s. I believe the east coasts of Hawaii get a lot.

• Upvote 1

Be careful guys - who are you to come in and debunk Prof Wheels with your alternative facts.  Afterall he did study that photo - twice!  That other mob are just a bunch of loonie leftie academics with paper degrees from some noname tertiary institution at the bottom of the world - all they did was go and have a wander round the island and dig a few deep holes. I mean seriously - you should be ashamed of yourselves!

Be careful guys - who are you to come in and debunk Prof Wheels with your alternative facts.  Afterall he did study that photo - twice!  That other mob are just a bunch of loonie leftie academics with paper degrees from some noname tertiary institution at the bottom of the world - all they did was go and have a wander round the island and dig a few deep holes. I mean seriously - you should be ashamed of yourselves!

Wow dude, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning. My comment was just my Point of view from what the Picture shows. Am I not allowed to out forward my point of view? It's interesting to hear the comments from those that have seen this kind of thing and I take that on board. I am surprised that just Fishing gear is washing up, I would have expected a mix of plastics. But OK.

I sense a pull of the leg there fellas?

Anyway, East side of southern Kadavu was covered in old (single, no pairs) jandals, floats and various plastic parts.

This was 18 years ago.....