Photo

Charity looking for some transport to Tonga!

Tonga Crew

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 craigkoning

craigkoning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAuckland/Vava'u

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:37 PM

Hi all,

We are urgently looking for cargo space to Tonga for:
Medical Equipment (boxed, sealed, certified)

A wooden sailing dinghy (for teaching kids to sail)

10xVHF radios (for each village to escalate emergencies) 

We are a NZ charity that gives medical training and supplies to outer island villages (teach a man to fish ideology).

A sailor myself, I sailed to Tonga on my 30 foot wooden yacht and found that there were problems in these communities that we can solve.

Our boats have a full offshore kits, at least one trained medic, yet communities of 300 have nothing.

Help us help others. Any big boats who can strap a 12 foot dinghy down to their deck?

We've already been to Opua but are now looking last ditch for non-ICA boats going up. 

Please get in touch with me

Craig Koning

Founder

Floating Foundation

021 414762
craig@floatingfoundation.net

#2 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:12 PM

Good luck. Why not build traditional sailing craft? I'm conscious too of the number of small boats blown out to sea in the Pacific which don't have an epirb.

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

Why not build traditional sailing craft?

As a FYI, a mob here has received funding to build a fleet of traditional style craft for use as trading vessels thru the Sth Pacific. By the time this project is finished, which will be a few years away yet, there will be about 50 vessels in action.

What's more the mob, for lack of knowing their real name, have a few already built for them but with this new and very significant funding, it is a BIG number, are going to set up their own business to train, build, sail and everything right thru. They were hesitant to do so but many in the marine industry have encouraged them to do so and they have decided to go that way, good on them. A bit of a win-win for them really.

Craig, get hold of Moorings the boat charter in Tonga. They are often moving boats around and some have left NZ heading to Tonga with the weirdest cargo's so there is a chance they may have some spare space. Boss bloke Shane is a nice guy and is very keen to help the locals so the worse he can do is just say no. The best maybe space in one of his boats or maybe a lead on something else.

#4 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

You need to work together with these guys, contact details on their website) (KM - think this is what you were thinking of??)

http://talanoa.org/T...t_Projects.html

https://www.facebook...fanauaaotearoa/

http://dicknewickboa...naua/index.html

#5 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:26 PM

Very close but not quite Dan.

More Waka than Vaka.

#6 craigkoning

craigkoning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:28 PM

Wow thanks all!

Yeah I met Shane actually. Is a lovely guy, owns Moorings and Tonga Beach Resort. I should actually reach out to him.

Deadline is coming a little close. Just purchased a lovely little sunburst dinghy for over there (trying to get another one so I can get two villages racing them). Maybe he can strap one to his deck. Shipping is over $800.

Yeah, transport around the islands is bottle-necked by a shortage of in service vessels. This is for a reason however.
We'd like to offer a free 2-stroke engine maintenance course in the Tongan islands next year. Another thing we found that was really asked for in the island communities. Things are going bang for silly reasons and with dire consequences.

I should start looking for sailors who'd volunteer their time to help me design a course I can teach.

#7 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

Awesome plans Craig, love the Sunburst idea, that's a ripper and having lived in the Island for a long while I can see them enjoying that a lot, be they sailing or just watching.

Agree on maintenance, that is not a strong point on most islands, which is rather strange when you see most Islanders must be where they got the idea for McGyver from. I've seen them make some awesome stuff out of bugger all. The Kiribati racing Proas for example. When I was up there they discovered a new high tech material that made the boats that much faster, a bit like the AC found foils. In Kiribati they discovered the plastic sheet used under concrete slabs laminated using a glue made from palm sap between their more traditional cloth, a blend of cotton bed sheets and a cloth made from the fibres of coconut palms, was a big performance gain.  Funnily enough those boats do over 30kts and those sails are the highest tech thing on them.

Or I saw a lady one Sunday heading off to church in Tuvalu, a very religious country, wearing an spectacular hand made very intricate dress in wickedly shiny red/white and polished alloy. It was fully made from used Coke cans flattened out then very tidily sewn/lashed together.  I hate to think what would have happened if she slipped over or sat down wrong, I suspect it would put a whole new meaning on 'sliced n diced'.

Anyway, any maintenance skills they can get can only be a big bonus, especially to some of the outer communities.

What you need is a tall friendly bald dude who may own something like say a 60fter, a sleak black one could be nice. I'd think it would have lots of deck space for dingys and maybe even an owner chomping at the bit to get the F out of this place we don't call Dodge so possibly ready to jump at any excuse. I wonder where someone like that maybe lurking :)

#8 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, transport around the islands is bottle-necked by a shortage of in service vessels. This is for a reason however.
We'd like to offer a free 2-stroke engine maintenance course in the Tongan islands next year. Another thing we found that was really asked for in the island communities. Things are going bang for silly reasons and with dire consequences.

Just wondering. Is the problem more to do with the availability of parts, even just basic service items?

#9 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,843 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:34 AM

Next winter.also talk to oceanswatch. They are doing some good stuff.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#10 craigkoning

craigkoning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:37 AM

Just wondering. Is the problem more to do with the availability of parts, even just basic service items?

Absolutely this is an issue. However, you don't really need that many parts (aside from regular service items) if you just don't screw up the motor! I've spent a fair bit of time in a couple of workshops in the islands and had chats with owners (who are normally lending me their space to fix something on my boat). 
They see the most ridiculous stuff. 

Normally with such an idea, we just run a pilot program and see how it goes. Then we try get sponsorship, get some tools up there. Our 'Island Mechanics' are the only ones allowed to access the tools and if tools go missing then they have to make a formal request for replacements (it happens).
It's just an idea. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tonga, Crew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users