Solar regulators

I have been using a Genasun GV-10Pb controller on a Solbian SL-80 panel for 6 years.  I have been very happy with the Genasun performance and also their support (even since Blue Sky purchased them).  The one limitation that may affect your ability to use them in series is that there is a 34Vmax on the regulator.  

180S -where are you planning on getting the Genasun (I was living in the US when I purchased these pieces)? 

Although they are expensive, I highly recommend the OutBack MPPT controllers. An amasing piece of equipment. Chorus use them on all their Cell sites for their Battery backup systems.
I have come across an identical looking and somewhat cheaper Chinese knockoff. Can't remember the name. But these things are unique in how they look and I wouldn't mind betting that OutBack are having their units made in China and someone there has copied everything. I have no clue what is inside the knockoffs. They may or may not be as good as the genuine OutBack.

"where are you planning on getting the Genasun"

Was planning on buying them ,GV-4-PB-12v , online, couldn't find a source for them in NZ, but given the info above might call BEP? And see if they can point me in the right direction.

I hear you Wheels, but all the same I like the idea of x2 discreet systems, redundancy,relative comparison etc.

Initially I plan to put a single 50W on the companionway hatch cover and see how it goes, then move on from there. As I am sourcing the panel from China I plan on getting x2 giving allowance for quality.

I will certainly have a play around.

Although they are expensive, I highly recommend the OutBack MPPT controllers. An amasing piece of equipment. Chorus use them on all their Cell sites for their Battery backup systems.

I have come across an identical looking and somewhat cheaper Chinese knockoff. Can't remember the name. But these things are unique in how they look and I wouldn't mind betting that OutBack are having their units made in China and someone there has copied everything. I have no clue what is inside the knockoffs. They may or may not be as good as the genuine OutBack.

I've been using Outback at home for 7 years now and can also testify to how good they are. Expensive - yes, but you get what you pay for.

I believe that their devices are indeed made in China, and there is IS a knock-off, which you can buy on Trade Me. Looks exactly like the real thing, doubt if it performs in the same way.

Have to go with Wheels on it being a waste of money having two discreet 50W systems. Unless you have both panels mounted in the same plane side by side you're going to be losing the ability to maximise output, and the chances of getting 4 amps out of the whole system are low. If you want to average 4 amps out of two 50W panels, better have them connected in series beside another. And as soon as that sun goes behind a cloud, watch your output drop. If you have space for panels larger than 50W, you'll end up kicking yourself for not going higher capacity.