27 replies to this topic

#21 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:24 PM

Done some racing in a mixed fleet with some not running spinnakers and the only problem that has occurred is the tendency of some non extras boats to want to hike you to the moon if you go to pass them under kite..

Yeap, I know exactly what you mean and it's huge pain in the arse, to put it very politely.

But the people doing it are either dumbarses and need to learn rules/etiquette or are simply an arsehole, something they have yet to find a cure for. Most of the time you can tell which is which.

#22 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

running with a kite and overtaking a non kite,the non kite luffs,kite responds,but how far do take them??no winners if you go to far off course and let everyone pass?best option straight line as you chose no kite?

#23 Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:46 AM

The key is separation and space, having the TP's and Multis blasting through 70 boats in Auckland harbour is not ideal.

Coastal and SSANZ have it right though - bigger start area and space to sail.

"That which can be accepted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Hitchens

#24 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

running with a kite and overtaking a non kite,the non kite luffs,kite responds,but how far do take them??no winners if you go to far off course and let everyone pass?best option straight line as you chose no kite?

Depends if you are in the same race. If your not why luff, if you are luff away.

#25 Theseus

Theseus

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSouthland

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

Yeap, I know exactly what you mean and it's huge pain in the arse, to put it very politely.

But the people doing it are either dumbarses and need to learn rules/etiquette or are simply an arsehole, something they have yet to find a cure for. Most of the time you can tell which is which.

#26 Theseus

Theseus

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSouthland

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

I don't agree. Maybe I'm an arsehole but if a boat with a big kite comes close up behind and takes my wind when they could easily have kept wide I will luff up. It doesn't hurt to have a reputation that you won't be messed with especially when a boat in another division doesn't have the manners to keep clear.

#27 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

If they are running extras and you're not, they'll likely be in a different division. Let them go but ask them why they needed to pass you so damn close.

If you're not flying a kite, and someone in your race is coming up to pass you with a kite, you are racing, and you do what you must, cover, luff, whatever.

If they're in a different race, and they basically come up behind you, steal all your wind and slow you down, and crap all over your parade this might be considered unsporting behaviour and you might protest them out of THIER race, under some rule or other. Maybe they are sailing interference for a friend further back who is actually in your race?

Additionally, if they're not in your race, racing rules do not apply and colregs do. As passing boat, they have to keep clear etc. etc.

Sail your race, race against your competitors.

Starting no extras first or not? Totally depends on the start, upwind/downwind etc.

I'm usually on smaller boats, extras or not, and it's nice to get away a bit before and be a bit spread out then have the bigger faster boats come through you. Even though they're not in your division, it's demoralising from the start to feel like you're chasing a bunch of faster boats.

It depends on the race, but in a passage race where there's a big party afterwards, on a small boat if can be crap right from the get go if you're already starting last, almost as if you and your division are an afterthought to the rockstar boats ahead of you. When they p┬Ęss off over the horizon almost before you even start, you know that they'll be starting the party before you get to North Head.

But as some have noted, it can be that there's precious little in it between the extras and non-extras.

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#28 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

Nicely said Doc.

Why luff someone you aren't racing? Just drop your anchor and have a fish, that will achieve the exact same result, you finish place will be worse than it needed to be.

So far the non-extras going 1st have had zero issues and has closed up the finishing time spread. Last week the extras gun was followed only 2 mins later by the non-extras gun. Some of that is due to some of the non-extras being pretty high performance machines that for a range of reasons just don't want to use extras.  No one in the fleet has expressed any concerns or negativity about it, in fact I think many like it as they get to see more action rather then feel Nigel NotWanted's by having to wait for ages only to ever see a transom or 2 way ahead in the distance.

I've now opening the starting gap to 10mins next racing to allow for course changes between divisions. I want to be able to give each fleet the most fun course I can for the set up they would like to use. More 2 sail power reaching for non-extras, more big slides for kite powered sends.

tweak tweak try...... tweak tweak some more...... Suggestions always welcomed......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users