diesel or water in the oil.

Guest shane

Guest shane

how can you tell if its water or diesel ?  if its diesel. what I think it is then what could be causing it to get into the oil.  

Anyone in Picton that would have the time to come down and teach me things about my engine. I have no money too pay someone just looking for someone who would like too help me so I can go sailing again.  :) I cant wait to get back out too sea. I love it so much out there.

Thank you.

Why do you think there is either one or the other in the oil? Is the oil level rising when you check it?

As w44vi said above, water makes the oil go milky and you will probably get a white waxy gunge around the filler cap.
Diesel will cause the Oil to smell strongly of Diesel and depending on how much is in there, the oil could be more diluted, although that is hard to tell sometimes.

What make is the engine??
Has it been hard to start?

Lets deal with the easy one first. If it is Diesel, and it has been enough to raise the oil level in the sump, then the likely culprit will be the rubber diaphragm on the engine lift pump. The lift pump sucks the diesel out of the tank and pumps it into the injector pump. The injector pump has the metal tubes that run from it to the injectors on the engine. So you can either find the injector pump, then find a tube that runs down to probably a fuel filter, then on down to somewhere near the bottom of the block of the engine into a kind of round looking thing, which is the lift pump. Or you can trace the fuel line from the tank to the engine and likely the line will go directly to the pump. On the front of the pump should be one bolt. That holds the cover on the body. On the base of the body, you should find two bolts, maybe three. Undo those bolts and the entire pump will come out. Around the outside of the body, a ring of screws should be easy to see. Undo those and that divides the pump into two halves. A rubber diaphragm will be int he middle. The diaphragms tend to perish around the center where a metal thing is squashed onto the rubber. It only takes a really little we pin hole and the fuel will leak through the pump to the leg thingy that was inside the engine when it was bolted to the engine. The fuel leaks right through and into the Sump. Replace the diaphragm and reverse all the steps and you will be good to go. You will likely need to bleed the fuel through from the pump to the Injector pump, or the engine will not start.

If it i water in the Oil, you have a problem. I suggest you work out fir sure which it is and we will address the water if needed, as there are many possibles.

A big issue we have in trying to help you shane, is that you never reply. We have no clue if you read our info, if it has helped, if you have solved the problem or need more help or anything. We really need to hear back from you.
Also as we keep saying, owning a boat costs money. There is no getting around that.

Google and you tube you can get all the how to guides you need.

And as has been said before contact the local yacht club and see if you can join a crew for racing. In time You'll end up with more expert advice on everything you need to know than you'll ever be able to put into practice.

Guest shane

Its Diesel. it raise the oil level in the sump a lot its diluted a lot.

i don't know What make the engine is.
starts 1th time ever time.

How many cylinders has the engine and what colour is it? And what is the Boat.
If I or someone can identify the engine, I can help you with more detail on where to find the lift pump and what to do and where you would hopefully get a part for it.

My iseki/kubota was black,3 cylinder. Lift pump was on the front left (when looking from the front i.e. Starboard). Down near the mount. There was a lever underneath. Reasonably accessible when on a tractor but a bit fiddly on a boat.

Great motor too.

Yes Diesel will mix perfectly into the oil and you would notice nothing other than simply the Oil level has gone up. If you see something in the oil, it is not Diesel.

Shane, all I can suggest is that you work through the things I said in my first post. Follow the fuel line either from the tank, or from the injector pump back and see if there is a mechanical lift pump on the side of the engine. If there is, then that is what you need to fix. I can't think of any other way fuel could get into the oil, unless you had a major injector pump issue, but that would cause the engine to not want to start.

Dirty/faulty injector/s could result in pooling diesel washing down the side of the bore into the sump.

Hence my question about starting. All the other possible causes of Fuel getting into the oil would result in hard starting and poor running and likely a lot of smoke. If the engine starts well and runs well, it kind of rules those possibles out. And it takes some time to raise the level as well. Shane has said it goes up a lot in a short period.