donations so i can get sailing again.

Guest shane

Guest shane

Hi My names shane im 22 and my dream is too sail around nz on my boat. I am looking for donations to fix my engine and get some more safety gear so I can get out too sea again and go port to port around nz . I love life at sea. If anyone could please help me please email shane.84801@gmail.com

Do what the rest of have done.Get a job!!Why should I support you through my taxes to live your dream?I presume you are on a benefit of some sort.

Should I apologize for my comments?I think not.

• Downvote 1

We would all like no greater responsibility than pointlessly sailing around all day, we all have a love of sailing, what makes you a worthy cause for people to delay their ambitions to go to work so they can give you money?

Also, reading your other thread, I would think you should not use your motor until you fix the diesel pump issue and do an oil change.

I presume you are on a benefit of some sort.

You can't get a benefit if you have no fixed address.

But I do agree, Shane needs to get a job, like the rest of us. There are many of us that would love to "live the dream" on a boat, but the reality is that we all need jobs to pay for that "dream". It seems to be an attitude of many these days. Woe is me, I can't work, please give me ......

I don't mean to be mean, but it is simple reality. I worked for 5 yrs with People that had this mentality. It is self inflicted, yet they think it is the fault of everything else, including the Gvts.

But I also worry about Shane, in that with no money at all, how the hell does he and his dog eat. How does he afford basics to keep himself clean, healthy an warm, especially here in Marlborough over Winter.

A big issue now though, is that he has basically locked himself out of the system. With no fixed address, he can't get a benefit, but no benefit means you can't afford to get yourself a fixed address so you can then go get a benefit. Then once you apply, you have a 13week stand down before you can get any money, so trying to stay in somewhere with no way of paying is near impossible and here in Marlborough, W&I send you out to the Vineyards because there is work.

• Upvote 1

Get a job man. You might find some self respect while you are at it. You have so much to offer the world so be a giver and make the world better instead of looking for a handout.

Do you honestly feel good about yourself scabbing off other people when you are perfectly capable of providing for yourself?

I think people have been offering Shane a hand in various ways here for some time. I seem to recall someone even offered him a job at one point.

Yes he has had lots and lots of help.I don't know how he eats, but in the past he has said his food is donated also, along with his Dog food.
I remember reading something some time ago about the various Generations and how each view the World. My Parents Gen and my Gen are such that we had to work for everything and we struggle to understand the younger generations that expect it to be given. So while I am of the Generations that suggest "get off ya bum, get a hair cut and get a real job", I also don't want to be too hard on him. I understand that he has no education, struggles to read/write and has health issues. However, somewhere along the line, he has to try and help himself as well I feel.

I agree with you sabre. Whatever happened to to joy of achievement when a goal is reached through hard work and effort.

By the way, we owned a Sabre 20 for 6 years many years ago. Had a lot of fun with it, but when 2 kids come along it appeared to shrink and it was time to move on to something a bit bigger.

it's one thing to walk the tightrope of life 

secure in the knowledge there's a safety-net below 

quite another to treat that net as a hammock

just hollering when you want something 

Yea they are good little boats aye chariot. I don't think there is anything better for the money if you are only cruising. I'm looking to go bigger now but I'm not in any hurry and I will keep enjoying the sabre untill then. Still got a couple of missions I want to do before I say goodbye to her.

Do you have a specific design of boat you may go for after the Sabre. I changed the rudder on my Sabre so that the blade was plumb. Made a big difference.

Not yet Chariot. Still researching and learning and need time to go and look at a few. Also need to sort where to keep it. Needs to be 28-32 foot and the design has to be capable of taking offshore in the future. I like the look of the cav 32's but would want one with a bottom job done already. I also can't ignore the H28 because they are such good value and the $ saved buying one would pay for a lot of cruising.

Yea I got new pintles made up to kick the top of the rudder out on the sabre plus built a big blade. Massive difference in how she behaves now. What did you go to after the sabre?

We ended up buying a Raven 26. Had that for 13 years Awesome little boat, dragged the wife and 2 kids all over the Hauraki Gulf and northland coast. You mention a Cav 32, again a very good boat. With the age you just have to be aware of osmosis, that includes the H28 as well. We owned a Cav 32 for about 6 years, our hull was used to make the mould for the Aussie built Cavs.

You sometimes end up with arms 6ft long after reaching in fresh conditions. Very comfortable sea boats and not that slow if you sail them correctly. They don't like the main being over sheeted.

i found the biggest negative of the Cav 32 was the cockpit size. This is all IMO only.

Hi Shane

I edited the swear words and attitude from your reply so it doesn't get pulled again.

"do you think everone online asking for help should not get it? theres a lot off persons out there raising money online on youutub. "

Firstly peace brother chill out,

Secondly I agree with you 100% about people on You tube asking for money and that it is quite ok to do so. It's previously been mentioned earlier in this thread suggesting you could do the same?

You will surely agree that most of those you tubers are first giving everyone something for free, wether it's a laugh, entertainment or some technical know how.

When I edit videos it takes 1 hour of editing for just 1 minute of finished footage, add in camera costs, editing software, laptop and the hassle of filming, then you can see the You tubers are actually earning the right to ask for support to keep it going.

Someone suggested you could do a blog?

I would be keen as to read a blog from you! You clearly have passion, Check out my one, it's done on a free site called Wordpress, all the photos are done on my phone and the last two blogs were written on my phone. I'm no writer, I failed school C English, If it wasn't for spell check it would probably be unreadable lol. I paid an extra $60 to get rid of ads and increase storage size but you don't need to do that.

You just need a smart phone and some WIFI and you are into it. Put a link to your give a little page on your blog asking for support to keep the adventure going, Take us all along with you on your journey.

Do you have a smart phone? If not I think it would be quite reasonable to ask on here if anyone is upgrading their phone, they might send it your way for free and be rewarded with some epic images. I would send you mine if work didn't own it.....

Fair winds and stay cool

• Upvote 2

I edited the swear words and attitude from your reply so it doesn't get pulled again.

I missed something?

So after several of us have tried helping Shane, he has spat the dummy?? Or am I not understanding something?

I missed something?

So after several of us have tried helping Shane, he has spat the dummy?? Or am I not understanding something?

A second almost duplicate thread was created with slightly different wording.

I thought the constructive criticism from the first thread was relevant so posted the link from that thread onto the new one, and said "what these people said".

I got the reply through the email notification, but the link was dead. To be fair the mods did him a favour removing it.

I do hope he starts a blog or you tube channel though, I think it's awesome what he is doing and wish I had been brave enough to do it before I became a boring adult with adult responsibilities.