45 replies to this topic

#1 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

Looking at getting one of these for a bit of fun, pissing the dogs off and possibly some sailing videos.(I'm aware that landing these things on a moving target like a boat can be akin to trying to catch a fly with chopsticks, not planning on trying that trick anytime soon)

The big player in the market place looks like DJI, so without spending crazy amounts the options seem to be the Mavic, Phantom 3 standard or the Spark.

The spark and mavic appeal from a size point of view, but that has a significant price premium over the phantom.

Anyone got any experience with these things, or alternatives to DJI that are worth looking at?

#2 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

maybe comment on BigFella NZ's YouTube page

https://www.youtube....Qo4uDUew/videos

heard last night that dji are opening a proper shop here

presumably you could get some solid advice there and maybe test

http://dronedepot.co...dification.html

it's not me

it's the shiraz saying sh!t

#3 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

Yep, Dji shop opens tomorrow, was already planning a trip there

#4 MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

DJI drones are to drones as the Apple iPhone is to phones. That is to say, you buy one if you don't care how drones work and just want to take some cool video and have money to burn. But just like any smartphone, you can drop it and break it.

There's nothing wrong expressly bad about that, though, but you're essentially paying the apple-tax on an over-engineered, modestly-specced product.

#5 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

https://www.aliexpre...ers with camera

#6 idlerboat

idlerboat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

They are great fun, and you can get some awesome video. With a little bit of practice it is not hard to bring them back on board while underway. Just have a second person to grab it. 

Filming your boat from the bow and rising up over the top of the mast with you under full sail passing underneath looks awesome no matter what the boat.

Unfortunately the much hyped (Lily drone)...the waterproof unit has collapsed into bankruptcy.. 

BUT...remember that they can seriously piss other people off as well...( a bit like a jet ski staring in through your port hole)...

The common practice now is to hit them with a bucket of water if they sit 2 metres off your boat while you are trying to enjoy a quiet private evening... ;-)

There is only two substances..stuff and glue...and even glue is made of stuff,,
quote."MD"

#7 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

DJI drones are to drones as the Apple iPhone is to phones. That is to say, you buy one if you don't care how drones work and just want to take some cool video and have money to burn. But just like any smartphone, you can drop it and break it.

There's nothing wrong expressly bad about that, though, but you're essentially paying the apple-tax on an over-engineered, modestly-specced product.

Well, I'm an Android guy with a 1Plus 3T. With that in mind have you got any suggestion on what alternative to look at?

I had a suss of the gopro karma, nice idea with the bonus of being able to remove the camera, but its still a big hulk of a thing, heavier bigger no vps for internal flying, no obstacle avoidence, poorer flight control and more expensive that the mavic.

What other options have I seen...Yuneec, xiro, blade....? Don't really know much about them. The Yuneec typhoon seems to be on runout here, but still expensive

DJI seem to have a massive market share, but who else on the pheriphy is making good kit with near to similar specs that has some backup in NZ incase I crash the thing (which is likely I think)

#8 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

If you get one LEARN THE RULES of where and when you can fly them.

Someone is going to bring down a aircraft shortly, which could easily end in deaths. Drones being where they are not supposed to be, both legally and common sensely, is a very big problem in aviation at the moment. One hit a landing jet a month or so back. Luckily it was off the wing and didn't go thru a motor.

#9 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

If you get one LEARN THE RULES of where and when you can fly them.

Someone is going to bring down a aircraft shortly, which could easily end in deaths. Drones being where they are not supposed to be, both legally and common sensely, is a very big problem in aviation at the moment. One hit a landing jet a month or so back. Luckily it was off the wing and didn't go thru a motor.

Absolutly, with my current construction site within the approach boundaries of ardmore (but actually still under the OLS, did a very careful check of this), and my house sometimes being on the approach vectors to auckland airport I know there is more I don't know about the rules in these areas so have more reading to do around that

#10 Freeeeeeeeeedom

Freeeeeeeeeedom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Anyone tried these water resistant ones?

http://www.splashdrone.co.nz/ 

Used to be High'n'Fibre but I've seen the light and brought half of Freedom, a modified GBE - Adrian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users