18 replies to this topic

#11 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

Hypothetical question only. Don't have the time nor money for offshore escapades, unfortunately. Probably why there are so few 30ft cruisers competing in these races now. It would cost more than the boat is worth to get to cat 1.

#12 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:49 PM

its because the people who issue cat 1 also sell the courses necessary to get the crew up to speed, irrespective of their offshore experience, theory in a pool counts for more....

little segregation of duty or revenue

#13 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

its because the people who issue cat 1 also sell the courses necessary to get the crew up to speed, irrespective of their offshore experience, theory in a pool counts for more....

Am I reading this right? Get the boat up to Cat1,so now I need a crew who has done approved courses to go offshore or is that only for racing?

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#14 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

Am I reading this right? Get the boat up to Cat1,so now I need a crew who has done approved courses to go offshore or is that only for racing?

Yes you are reading it right.

If you haven't been offshore then I'd say to the course, you should find it interesting and informative.

If you have done a few offshore miles then take lots of coffee.

I've done the course twice now. The 3rd time will require No Doze.... bar the wave pool bit, that's funnier to watch then when mum caught her tits in the wringer. Note: I jest due to having climbed into liferafts many times previous and post doing it in the pool so I can sit back and giggle at the newbies...... not because I think it's silly, quite the opposite actually. How hard it can be to get in to one, especially one with many bods already in it, generally surprises most people considerably.

But it's yet another of the seemingly 1000's of taxes and requirements you need to have before you even get out of bed.

I wonder if the people who make all those things up realise that as there are now so many that people are now zombieing their way through them all purely to be able to say 'Got that one' rather than actually gaining much goodness from them all.

#15 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:28 PM

one thing jump from a boat in to raft in swimming type operation,but middle of the night when sh*t hits than it would be a different story,

what ever happened to the days where one set off and just did it?(after clearing customs etc).

Do you to prove to be efficient in navigation?(another course i suppose)

took a group of scouts to a wave pool then when the waves started ask them to put lifejackets on,just to prove appoint as to why they need to wear them,I think out of 15 only 1 got it on.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#16 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:18 PM

Watch out harrytom, next thing you know you will have to do a sailing induction course to enter the PYBC night race to Kawau in a few weeks.

#17 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

its $1000 to register as a ship to leave....

#18 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:41 PM

Ah bit of a stretch there, the course people are quite separate to the inspectors and YNZ.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#19 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

Its funny and sad that back in 2007 I took my boat into the pacific with a cat one certificate, if I went agin now with the same crew, many who have 10,000's nm's.

We would have to get more theory to satisfy the pen pushers, yet you can climb Mt Cook without a climbing certificate.

I can register my boat in South Africa for 545 rand.....  if I go again, I will be at cat 1 level safety wise and flying a SA flag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users