Nz yacht in trouble off Fiji

looks like they'll be ok but the yacht might be too damaged and remote to repair

They decided to go to Fiji last night because of an equipment failure, then activated a distress beacon at 4am after going aground on a reef 425 kilometres from Suva.

Rescue Coordination Centre spokesman Keith Allen says efforts have been made to contact boats in the area by radio.

He says unfortunately the nearest boat they've been able to contact is about 200km away, can only sail at about seven knots and will take 24 hours to reach Jungle.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11880917

This has come out from Defense HQ:

The New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) has found the New Zealand-owned yacht that made a distress call at dawn off the coast of Fiji.

Air Commodore Darryn Webb, the Air Component Commander, said a Royal New Zealand Air Force P-3K2 Orion aircraft spotted the yacht SV Jungle beached on the reef at Tuvana-I-Ra atoll approximately 425 kilometres southeast of the Fijian capital of Suva.

“The yacht’s four crew members had abandoned the yacht and are safe and well on the atoll,” Air Commodore Webb said.

“They used the yacht’s radio to establish communications with the Orion crew.”

Air Commodore Webb said the Orion’s crew were now trying to contact other vessels nearby to rescue the four yachtsmen.

“We are delighted with the successful outcome of this search and rescue operation. Well done to all those involved.”

There are three locals living on the atoll, and there are no vessels expected to visit the area in the next seven days.

Crew members of the 18-metre yacht sent text messages to their relatives overnight to inform them that their vessel’s backstay was broken, affecting their ability to sail. The last text message was received from the yacht around 2am this morning.

"The plotter and the radar both said we were three miles off but the two plotters were incorrect by three miles so we just hit the edge of the reef," he said.

Bloody close to even be three miles off at night with no backstay....

My boat, as straight spreaders, once backstay was lost you would want to get spinnaker halyard cranked on backwards and possibly go up and add another halyard so you could spread then like running backstays...   then use inner staysail and a possibly partial unfurled jib depending on wind strength. 

I would be trying to stay a bit further away from things at night. 

I don't believe that. A radar shows you what IS out there, and is accurate for distance off. It may not show low lying reef well though, depending on conditions and type of radar. It can be easy to misinterpret a radar without overlays - seeing the chart showing an island at three miles, and the radar detecting the high ground also at three miles, but not the same thing. Radar overlays make this obvious.

Also, the CM93 chart disagrees with the Google earth spot, the reef actually extends about 2 miles further sw than shown.

I respectfully suggest that this was operator error . Radar overlay would have shown the chart error immediately and clearly, as the island on the chart would not align with the radar image of it.

The island position on the charts could - probably did - contribute to the accident, but it comes down to the basic rule for safe navigation - 3 sources of data all agreeing to be certain of your position. In this case, Google earth, the chart, and the radar disagree - min 5 miles clearance to be certain.

It was also a bit of bad luck. :-(

Be interested to know what charts they were using.

• Upvote 1

Be interested to know what charts they were using.

My Navionics Android tablet app has the reef at the same location as Google.

Given the reef is almost 3 kms across, I'm surprised you could miss it. Never been on a yacht close to a reef at night, so no clue if what I'm saying is true :-)

PS: I'm assuming the location of the reef is 21° 2′ S178° 51′ W per some Wikipedia page I hit.

My OpenCNP with NZ raster charts also seems to have the reef in the Google Earth location (switching between them) and entering above coordinates.

Or perhaps I completely read the chart wrong, so please let me know! It's a trip I would like to make one day, so better get the learning curve of reading the map started before I hit a reef.

Yep, thats the  right position for the Island. Its only wrong on the old CM93 charts as far as I can see.

So again, it would depend on the charts they had...

The reef and Island are likely completely invisible from seaward on a dark night. Radar will see the island, if setup right. I can see how it could happen. Radar with overlays would have made interpreting the radar almost foolproof. 

An older radar (not broadband or HD), with a poorly adjusted gain etc, and no overlays, is pretty easy to misinterpret - and think that the target you can see is the one you think is there - range set wrong, or seeing a peice of reef and thinking that target is the island....

• Upvote 1