SSANZ Safety @ Sea Triple Series

Freedom report and video 

This trailor trash is fully converted !!

Phil and I got up early to try the new old slightly larger ex Borderline main on the old Freedom.

Great start until the first park up in Izzy Bay which was good for us, gave us time to adjust the rigging. The Borderline main is designed for a carbon ex TP52 mast whereas our old main was designed for standard GBE noodle.

Just before Rakino the windex was going around in circles again frustrating. Hooters and Deeds went right. The Diam, Whio and Attitude went left. We managed to sneak through the middle somehow and catching the mighty Dragon drifting back towards us they pulled the pin no need for them to turn around as they were facing the wrong way already. Attitude was getting sucked backwards into a hole by Motutapu and they also pulled the pin.

Whio and Deeds caught right up with a puff from behind rounding Rakino. Standing on my tippy toes, it helps to be tall. I could see a breeze line out east beyond the Noises or Ahas .1 knots of boat speed and .4 knots of tide we managed to thread through all the bricks. We left Deeds and Whio drifting west.

Got about 5 knots of very nice sea breeze from the east. Rounded Gannet rock and it looked like all the cats went home. Celebrated the win, ate the best bacon and egg buns I have ever tasted with beers and rum. We thought that we could just cruise around the course from there and we  took turns snoozing under the head sail. Phil kept the pedal down, hunting Galeforce the lead swinger. Slipped by Galeforce without seeing, still  hunting her to the finish. Luckily because little did we know Hooters was just behind us.

Nice to hear the gun. 

Even better

perhaps for some of us with big square tops and code zeros...  Windyty still showing some breeze in their forecast, hopefully they're right and not windguru etc who have not much.

• Upvote 1

Tazzy Devil had a fun day out.  Very light start and a reach down to Rangi light had us worried about a repeat of last month drifting around going nowhere for hours, but the breeze filled in quite nicely and we had a fun sail on a day that we wouldn't have been out there had SSANZ not organised these races.  Thanks again to the SSANZ team for putting it on.

Well done to clipper for another line/handicap double!

The Young 88 Owners Association has sorted  a degustation of char grilled sausages accompanied by a BYO of  appropriate aperitifs for a post race "debrief" raft up for the 12 or so 88's and hangers on spread across the various divisions.

Feel free to join us but bring, fenders, food and bevs.

No Sunfast or to host for Izzy Bay Club BooBoo this year.  Any other suitable venues on station?  Refer to video at this link for concept  

Haha deb I just saw your comment. Yes I left the Sunfast disco ball in the capable hands of the SSANZ committee on board the Ma'ara.

Fortunately I have a new one on the Rogue which will likely have some stories to tell by the time it gets back to NZ....