Whiting 39

Saw this on Trademe,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1238322484.htm

I'm looking for something a bit bigger than my Carpenter 29 for coastal and Hauraki Gulf sailing and then in about 2 years a trip or two Fiji/Tonga etc. I'm Guessing she is of relatively  conservative construction, ie stout and so while lacking the offshore gear the design has good bones.

Anyone know much about them or perhaps have sailed on one. Of note is that the draft is 1.64 M which seems shallow for a boat of this length however it has been 2nd checked confirmed by the broker.

Thanks in advance.

Whiting designs are well thought of as wheels says.

Also as you mention, the draft seems a little less than what you'd expect. It's quite possible this is correct and the original owner had it built with a shallow draft for some reason. Worth finding out exactly what the story is with that as if you want to go offshore you may need a stability calculation done and if it's been shortened by just having a chunk cut off the keel or something then this may impact the stability.

In terms of that particular boat, the photos don't show a lot. Unless you're a boat builder it's worth getting a survey done. Be wary of the teak decks as these normally have a limited life and are pretty much at the end of that by the age of this boat. Being grp you also want to make sure it's free of osmosis.

For slightly less money there are a couple of farr 38s on trademe. Might be worth a look?

One person's opinion. Also taken from the same thread:

"Any of the boats mentioned are great boats. All have their advantages. You can go anywhere in a Farr 10.6/1104/11.6"

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1314584327 would be worth looking at and its been off shore.

Been watching that one from afar. I'm curious what to make of the fact that it's been on the market for a year. Does this say something about the market as a whole, or Wellington, or that particular design, or that particular boat? Or something else?

In saying that though HT, Whiting never laid Teak "Veneer" like some boats tend to have. It was a real McCoy decent thickness Teak Timber laid down and providing the owner did not scrub the heck our of it, the deck has the ability to last many years.

who took over the building of whiting yachts after pauls death?

see so many Spencers for sale,was owned by john built by john,last yacht i recall john building and owning was Hey Jude mid 70s

So I checked out the Whiting 39, she is an ex charter boat and is a bit of a project down below.

Basically good bones and the work is nothing anyone with good  DIY skills and could not fix, but quite a lot of time required . 

The woodwork side of things should not cost much in terms of materials but the plumbing/wiring/sytems etc could add up.

The motor is near new and at 55HP should be ample, squabs all need replacing.

Rig looks OK but would need a thorough scrub through, not sure about the sails.

Would be good value at the right price, I dont have the time for the work. 

Yes boats have come down in price quite a bit in perhaps the last three or four years, I'm not sure why. By way of example It didn't seem that long ago when Farr 1220's were around 220K , a very tidy one sold recently for 120K, lots of stuff that does not seem to be moving, but then I have seen quite a few boats that did not "present well" shall we say.