12 replies to this topic

#11 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,711 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

In saying that though HT, Whiting never laid Teak "Veneer" like some boats tend to have. It was a real McCoy decent thickness Teak Timber laid down and providing the owner did not scrub the heck our of it, the deck has the ability to last many years.

#12 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

who took over the building of whiting yachts after pauls death?

see so many Spencers for sale,was owned by john built by john,last yacht i recall john building and owning was Hey Jude mid 70s

#13 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

So I checked out the Whiting 39, she is an ex charter boat and is a bit of a project down below.

Basically good bones and the work is nothing anyone with good  DIY skills and could not fix, but quite a lot of time required . 

The woodwork side of things should not cost much in terms of materials but the plumbing/wiring/sytems etc could add up.

The motor is near new and at 55HP should be ample, squabs all need replacing.

Rig looks OK but would need a thorough scrub through, not sure about the sails.

Would be good value at the right price, I dont have the time for the work. 

Yes boats have come down in price quite a bit in perhaps the last three or four years, I'm not sure why. By way of example It didn't seem that long ago when Farr 1220's were around 220K , a very tidy one sold recently for 120K, lots of stuff that does not seem to be moving, but then I have seen quite a few boats that did not "present well" shall we say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users