Sad little Honda 8hp

Found this gem on the 07' Honda 8Hp today.

Im guessing its due to over tightening of head bolts but i could be wrong, and not having any service history have no idea when it occurred. 

Cost of repair is likely more than the value of the engine - which is a shame as it has had very little use.

Have yet to get a quote, but expect it will be dare, so no doubt a new winter project for myself if i can source a new block. Will have to manage with the trusty Tohatsu 3.5 for now. 

Has anyone seen this before?

We have snow on the hill too . . . . . 

20170716_1400531.jpg

20170716_1400451.jpg

20170715_1027561.jpg

Hmmm I wonder if the last photo might have anything to do with it...was it running well (not overheating) last time you used it ? If so and then its been frozen  its possible that the water jacket may of been full still and ruptured the casting as it froze . a bit of a long shot but weird stuff happens sometimes. welding it is a possibility if another block is expensive.

Yeah i did think about frost wedging, but i don't think it would get that cold in the shed. But maybe. Crack looks quite old, so i would say it was there before i brought it. Gutted i missed it when i brought it.

Will have a decent look this weekend if i get a chance.

Welding may be a good option. 

Depending on many things including the shape, sectional variation, total mass and how contaminated it is it can be a piece of cake or super tricky welding castings... There are quite a few crusty old welders around that would give the little honda a good shot i reckon.New Plymouth should have a good quota of them