3 replies to this topic

#1 TaranakiBear

TaranakiBear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationInglewood

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:54 PM

Found this gem on the 07' Honda 8Hp today.

Im guessing its due to over tightening of head bolts but i could be wrong, and not having any service history have no idea when it occurred. 

Cost of repair is likely more than the value of the engine - which is a shame as it has had very little use.

Have yet to get a quote, but expect it will be dare, so no doubt a new winter project for myself if i can source a new block. Will have to manage with the trusty Tohatsu 3.5 for now. 

Has anyone seen this before?

We have snow on the hill too . . . . . 

Attached Files

#2 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:09 PM

Is it possible that there was water in the water jacket, and it has frozen??????

#3 jim s

jim s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:10 PM

Hmmm I wonder if the last photo might have anything to do with it...was it running well (not overheating) last time you used it ? If so and then its been frozen  its possible that the water jacket may of been full still and ruptured the casting as it froze . a bit of a long shot but weird stuff happens sometimes. welding it is a possibility if another block is expensive.

#4 TaranakiBear

TaranakiBear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationInglewood

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:58 PM

Yeah i did think about frost wedging, but i don't think it would get that cold in the shed. But maybe. Crack looks quite old, so i would say it was there before i brought it. Gutted i missed it when i brought it.

Will have a decent look this weekend if i get a chance.

Welding may be a good option. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users