Motutapu Closed

This may be old news to some, was news to me, but Motutapu is closed

http://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2017/motutapu-closed-to-protect-the-public/

We had no idea and got asked to leave the beach at home bay today, i was with my daughter having a picnic lunch and she was very upset (no fault of the DOC worker, he was great)

• Upvote 1

That is rediculous.

So there is a risk of a slip on the road, so they actively kick people off the beach?

If you were aware of the number of active slips on roads around Auckland, I believe the number is 90 that are currently being managed by AT, not to mention NZTA, Ngauranga Gorge anyone? Or Waioweka, or Manawatu, oh the list goes on.

No tourist revenue and no great walks on Motutapu. WTF

Kawau tracks have been closed for ages because they can't clear fallen pines (no budget). There is a lobby to get Auckland Council to take Kawua over as a public park, as th general consensus is the DOC are not fulfilling their duties.

DOC are not fulfilling their duties.

Kawau island,good point,last Christmas we walked the copper mine track from mansion house and also the track to school house to see the grave sight.Huge pines cut down and just left,Total waste of resources.The cost is too horrendous to remove v value of the pulp.Did they close the track at Gt Barrier,the kauri dam track  now the dam being destroyed in a storm 2 yr ago?

Pathetic!

Nothing dangerous about lunching on a beach kilometers from a damaged road.

Let them know what you think of their idiocy.

Contact

For media enquiries contact:

Nick Hirst, DOC Communications Advisor
Phone: +64 9 307 4846 
Mobile: +64 27 704 7773
Email: nhirst@doc.govt.nz

• Upvote 1

https://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/business/94122195/Motutapu-Island-gets-restoration-funds-from-Doles-new-sponsorship

due to reopen for Labour Weekend according to that article.  Why they can't just put some signs up saying - please don't walk the island as the track are curently impassable is just bizarre!  Bit like closing Motuihe bacause of the slips in Calypso Bay due to the same storm, or Rangitoto because of a potential eruption!  H&S laws and their unintended consequences again.

This may be old news to some, was news to me, but Motutapu is closed

http://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2017/motutapu-closed-to-protect-the-public/

We had no idea and got asked to leave the beach at home bay today, i was with my daughter having a picnic lunch and she was very upset (no fault of the DOC worker, he was great)

That's some crazy sh*t alright.

What would happen if you just said to the DOC guy - we're here to have a picnic, we won't be walking anywhere else, but we're not leaving until we're ready to go.

Do they actually have any 'power' to remove you?

I did say, ok, understand slip danger, we will just play on beach. Not allowed apparently.

My post was not meant so much as a complaint, more a heads up so others dont get bothered if they didnt know either.

There is a big slip next to the loos at home bay.

I agree its rediculous

That's some crazy sh*t alright.

What would happen if you just said to the DOC guy - we're here to have a picnic, we won't be walking anywhere else, but we're not leaving until we're ready to go.

Do they actually have any 'power' to remove you?

Surely they only have the power to remove you to the high tide line: as per any landowner?

DoC can remove you with police assistance and fine you upto $10k. Conversation act section covers closing off areas that aren't national parks. How far the conversation area, in this case, covers I'm not clear on but High tide line would be a safe bet unless DoC want to get in a pissing contest with MNZ