#1 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

With passing of my Father and his brother.In the achieves a story has emerged of how they wrecked the Kings Birthday salute in 1947.They made what they thought would be a 21 gun salute by carefully mixing slow burning powder in a 1 inch water pipe 2 feet long. carefully standing .22 cartridges between layers of powder and the thought was as one cartridge went off it would allow time for the next cartridge and so on. The result was perfect timing with rnzn gun salute,as the rnzn gunner counted down to fire 1 round,the 2 above salute explode as 1 causing panic at the saluting platform as the navy thought they had a misfire.The 2 culprits let it off at the devonport dinghy skids outside philomel and high tailed it up spring st along calliope rd down clarence st to garden tce number 8.When in the confines of home they said to their Father sounds like the navy had a misfire,totally forgetting that their father was a gunner at the western front and gallipoli,in a gruff irish voice he said that was no 8 pounder knowing full well who the culprits were.

Until recently I had always thought that my Father and Uncle were in their mid teens,turns out 1 was 21 and the other was 19.

Imagine trying to that today!

#2 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:17 PM

Thank-you for posting that.
An entertaining and fascinating glimpse into the past that you will never read about in our history books.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#3 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:22 AM

Thanks "Chrisc" and they wonder why I did crazy stuff as a teen?

#4 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:41 AM

Great story. You should send that to the RNZN museum, they might be able to match it up to Philomel's officer of the Day log.

#5 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:11 AM

similarly

immediately post war my father was growing up on hobson bay

later to become a chemist, as a teen he and friends were experimenting with "gunpowder crackers"

testing them by burying + exploding them in the beach sand, then measuring craters

their largest, + last, attempt

had the navy bomb demolition crew around as locals had reported the explosion of a suspected sea-mine

a mix of nitrogen triiodide, touch explosive, left forgotten in the drying cabinet, burned down half the house when the cat got in to lie on the linen

https://youtu.be/lZT7VHVSlTo?t=9

it's not me

it's the shiraz saying sh!t

#6 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:14 AM

Great story. You should send that to the RNZN museum, they might be able to match it up to Philomel's officer of the Day log.

Thanks,we have sent quite a bit stuff to the naval museum,As the Grandfather left nz in 1914 as a saddler and arrived back as reserve lieutenant from the royal navy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users