#1 motorbike

motorbike

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

Quite a kick off to the election campaign, Little was definitely gone by lunchtime and Ardern the new leader. By all accounts she smashed it at the news conference; whats her message to Winston "I like single malt"

Going to be hard to attack on the personal front, I suspect the meme will be inexperience. Still think boring old English will get in but suddenly its a bit more fun to watch.

#2 mcp

mcp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

Who is the New Zealand Labour party at this minute?   The worker's party...being lead by a kid that has not worked in a real job in her entire life.  

Relatability is what is killing labour currently.

I bet that there is a lot of regret, not voting Shane Jones as the leader.  He would win a popularity contest, while at the helm...with a lot of entrenched voters already in place.

Edited by mcp, 01 August 2017 - 09:01 PM.

#3 motorbike

motorbike

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:19 PM

Labour is suffering from centre left-itus, i.e it stands for nothing. National-lite is where they have gone and in doing so have become mostly irrelevant.

#4 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:34 AM

This is the first time in my life that I simply have no clue who to vote for.

None of the parties truly seem to represent the working class on struggle street.

I can vote to turn us into a foreign land, or a country of bludgers. Maybe I could vote for a benefit cheat, or to pay tax on my house. Or vote for the old fulla, but as he wont ever answer a question straight up, I've no idea what they actually stand for.

I'm gonna have to read the manifestos. Damn.

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#5 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

What's the best combination of parties to vote for so that economic confidence in NZ slides and leads to a big drop in the NZ dollar and maybe even a slump in property prices.  Please advise so I can tell my whanau to vote for that......

#6 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:32 AM

Thats easy Dan. Greens will kill the countries economy in no time

#7 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,570 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

What's the best combination of parties to vote for so that economic confidence in NZ slides and leads to a big drop in the NZ dollar and maybe even a slump in property prices.  Please advise so I can tell my whanau to vote for that......

The last thing we want is for Property Prices to drop. Very sadly and sorry to say, but the damage has been done. If you have prices drop, there will be all sorts of very major and damaging problems.You think things are tough now, just try living in a Country where Property goes negative inflation.
I think many that don't really understand Economics when it comes to a Country.
Another comment above re "selling off of our Country" is yet another that Peopl get emotional over, but few understand what it really means. No overseas buyer is going to buy and ship the land off to their own Country. No Buyer is going to place a large wall around and erect a flag of their own country and declare it not NZ. We already have NZ'ers that own large area's of NZ that the average joe Kiwi is allowed to enter. I know of many Beaches in NZ that are now Private and yet are owned by NZ érs. I know of many large area's of NZ that are owned by overseas investors that we have access too. So this Foreign ownership view is a lame argument.

The issues are larger than just the following of course, but I believe the issues of who to vote for,  is that all the Parties are full of Promises, but none of the promises have substance behind them. Anyone can say, if we are elected, we are going to do X. But the reality is that many of the voters question, how are you going to afford to do X? Yes there are many voters that have no clue and don't ask that question and they are the followers of those parties. But I think the majority that do ask such questions, are currently the ones following National. 
I also think the Smoking dope debate is a bad policy to include in an election. I know of many that would vote for several different Parties if any of those parties did not support Cannabis. I think the Cannabis debate needs to be aside from an election debate. In saying that, I know of some that want to vote Labour, but won't because they don't want Labour being a bed fellow with the Greens.
Personally, I see National as having the best economic/trade handle on things, but at the same time, it is coming at a cost also. Like less Health care and all the other things we think as the "three R's" of our country.

#8 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:24 AM

Thats easy Dan. Greens will kill the countries economy in no time

Sweet. My hippy family will go for that.

#9 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

The last thing we want is for Property Prices to drop. Very sadly and sorry to say, but the damage has been done. If you have prices drop, there will be all sorts of very major and damaging problems.You think things are tough now, just try living in a Country where Property goes negative inflation.
I think many that don't really understand Economics when it comes to a Country.
Another comment above re "selling off of our Country" is yet another that Peopl get emotional over, but few understand what it really means. No overseas buyer is going to buy and ship the land off to their own Country. No Buyer is going to place a large wall around and erect a flag of their own country and declare it not NZ. We already have NZ'ers that own large area's of NZ that the average joe Kiwi is allowed to enter. I know of many Beaches in NZ that are now Private and yet are owned by NZ érs. I know of many large area's of NZ that are owned by overseas investors that we have access too. So this Foreign ownership view is a lame argument.

The issues are larger than just the following of course, but I believe the issues of who to vote for, is that all the Parties are full of Promises, but none of the promises have substance behind them. Anyone can say, if we are elected, we are going to do X. But the reality is that many of the voters question, how are you going to afford to do X? Yes there are many voters that have no clue and don't ask that question and they are the followers of those parties. But I think the majority that do ask such questions, are currently the ones following National.
I also think the Smoking dope debate is a bad policy to include in an election. I know of many that would vote for several different Parties if any of those parties did not support Cannabis. I think the Cannabis debate needs to be aside from an election debate. In saying that, I know of some that want to vote Labour, but won't because they don't want Labour being a bed fellow with the Greens.
Personally, I see National as having the best economic/trade handle on things, but at the same time, it is coming at a cost also. Like less Health care and all the other things we think as the "three R's" of our country.

I just need NZ to get at least as messed up as the UK so I can buy the house, boat and business I had in mind before the pound dived.

One term should do it, you can revert to National to sort it out in 3 years.

#10 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:50 AM

That could work. You can buy my house and boat if that happens, wife and i decided to leave nz if greens had any power here.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Knot Me... maybe, madyottie