• Please log in to reply
1249 replies to this topic

#1011 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

I predict labour will tax and tax and tax till people are homeless and living in the streets the hospitals are crowded and underfunded and the suicide rate goes off the scale.
But........
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#1012 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

I just sat through the TVNZ youth debate.

Quite interesting to hear junior pollies take  on things.Of course, they were all trying to tow the party line, but still a good watch.

The two major party guy's didn't sell me, the NZ First, Act, and United guys did best, and Chloe Swarbrick did well for the greens.

It's a shame United Future is unlikely to survive, Light has some very good ideas. 

This stupid 5% threshold is a pain, Act will likely get in through the Epsom backdoor, while TOP polls three times higher and doesn't get in.

Whatever the outcome, Max Key will still make weird but catchy tunes, the sun will come up each day, the globe will keep on warming, and most of us will go on living. 

I'm hoping for a change of direction, and as a right leaner, that hurts, but not as much as watching friends and family struggle.

A family member has  advanced terminal cancer, can no longer work, and has just given notice of moving out of the garage she lives in, and into her car as she can no longer afford the rent. We're now re-organising our bedrooms in case she needs one, as her closer relatives are also trying to do. Most aren't really in a position to help much.

It seems the safety net is now just below rock bottom.

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#1013 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:58 PM

Not wanting to be unkind Mr Yottie, but why don't family and friends just pitch in and pay her rent? That's what we did for my wife's father before he died. Genuine question.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#1014 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,570 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:17 AM

http://www.expatfocu...buying-property
And this same thing does not happen in NZ??
Think again.

https://www.nbr.co.n...dency-sl-188815
and from Barfoot and Thompson

Are there any restrictions for overseas investors?

There are a few types of property that can’t be bought by non citizens or permanent residents without government permission, so you will need to make sure that you make the real estate agency aware of your status.

The New Zealand Government's foreign investment policies are administered by the Overseas Investment Office (OIO), whose prime role is to assess applications for consent from foreigners who intend making substantial investments in New Zealand.

You will need an IRD number

On 1 October 2015, some of the rules around buying and selling changed due to new legislation that came into force. Here's what you need to know:

• If you enter into a contract (to buy land/property) on or after 1 October 2015, you will need to provide a New Zealand IRD number before the settlement can take place, and you can take possession
  • It applies to the sale or purchase of ALL land/property in New Zealand 
  • It also applies to contracts entered into before 1 October 2015, where the settlement date is on or after 1 April 2016
  • You'll need to give your New Zealand IRD number to your lawyer, and you'll need to complete and sign a Tax Statement before settlement can occur and possession be given
  • "Offshore" buyers and sellers will need to provide a New Zealand IRD number or obtain a New Zealand IRD number before the settlement date. If you are an offshore buyer or seller and you do not have a New Zealand IRD number, you will need to open a New Zealand bank account before applying for a New Zealand IRD number. Offshore parties also need to provide their tax number/details from their country of origin.

So I think several of you Kettles are calling Pot black

#1015 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,570 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:22 AM

Oh and in that Joyce/Roberts interview, another lie from Labour became obvious. National has NOT created 16 or 18 new taxes. Some have been raised and Joyce says maybe one, but it was 3 new on es were introduced.
I had though that with Little gone, that kind of rubbish may have gone with him, but it seems that it is an attitude ingrained in the Party. And yet JA then spits out that National is telling lies. Hmmmm, I think there is plenty form Her side as well.

#1016 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:45 AM

I am not aware of that OIA rule being used to stop a sale. Ever. Might have happened without me knowing but it can hardly be called an impediment.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#1017 motorbike

motorbike

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:47 AM

As far as I am aware the only impediment to buying NZ properties is not having enough cash

#1018 Sundreamer

Sundreamer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

I am not aware of that OIA rule being used to stop a sale. Ever. Might have happened without me knowing but it can hardly be called an impediment.

Really? I'm surprised two of the biggest property OIA decisions ever is not common knowledge in the industry. Shows how ineffective the real estate institute is

This was national news
http://www.nzherald....jectid=11514511

On your doorstep
http://www.nzherald....jectid=11348065

Choosing a boat based on resale value is a bit like picking a girlfriend based on how desirable other guys might find her after you break up. 

#1019 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:12 AM

Have you read your link Wheels????

This is from your link...

****No one in China has full ownership of a residential property and the land on which it is built. Residential land is usually leased for 70 years.

It is important to be aware if buying an older property that developers or the government are entitled under Chinese law to make a compulsory purchase of the property if the land is needed for new construction work. The price they pay may be less than the price you paid for the property.****

If you have a read up Willow you will see the government repatriate land as a matter of course. How often does it happen in NZ?

I repeat... not quite the same is it Wheels??? The Chinese government are clever enough to remain in complete control.

You are starting to scare me Wheels.. you are like some kind of National party extremist ignoring the core issue of the discussion to argue on pedantics.

#1020 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,570 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

Have you read your link Wheels????

You obviously did not read my post then. I said that this also happens in NZ too. Not in every single situation, but there are many very similar if not identical scenarios.

And I have also made it very clear I am not in 100% support of National Either. But I do lean toward both Nat/Lab rather than any other party though. But as I always have, I think Labour have the heart of wanting to see the Country in a way most all of us do, but don't have the solid ideas how to do it. Raising taxes is not the total answer. I have said I am happy for some of my tax to increase, but not at the extent they are proposing. National have done many things I don;t fully agree with, but I feel they have a far better handle on the economy than anyone else.
And actually, they are delivering on what the majority has been calling for for many years. Better wages, on par with Oz. But as many of us have argued over those years, raising wages to any level also comes at a cost. You can't have high wages at no cost.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Knot Me... maybe, madyottie