1249 replies to this topic

#21 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

I for one am glad to finally have a leader that I am happy to support. I believe a labour/green/nzfirst coalition has the potential to work quite well. To hear that Jacinda wants Labour to go back to its roots is also encouraging.

Seems to me Donkey and his mates have milked NZ for all its worth and now it's time for Labour to clean up the mess. National have completely screwed the housing market and forced many kiwis further into poverty. There is already a huge cost to this and it is only going to get a lot bigger including a social and financial cost.

National must have known that pumping immigrants into NZ to stimulate the economy was short sited and unsustainable. The "have's" have done quite well from the Nats however I believe society and our elected officials have a responsibility to look after everyone including the "have not's"

#22 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

Get into it dude, in a year or 2 that RC could become a SY... as in a Superyacht model ;)

Heck good point! Get a job with Merrill Lynch or some other such ponzi financial outfit, and I will be sharing berths with Russian Billionaires before you know it! LOL

Attached File  RBY.JPG   35.54KB   0 downloads

#23 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

Regarding my earlier comment on offshore investment, I'm all for overseas Investment in business, but working in the Auckland construction arena, I'm quite shocked to hear how many new big homes are being built for offshore tenants with no desire to live here or rent it out. It is simply a cash dump while they wait for the capital gains. I can't see how this helps the economy aside from the initial construction.
I recall hearing somewhere that you lose control of a business at somewhere around 40% hostile ownership. So what happens when the 70k+ annual migration reaches that tipping point? It happened 150 years ago, now it's starting again.

Exactly.. we are loosing NZ. This is not sustainable. We are a country blessed with enough resources for everyone. We are now in a system that is reliant on immigration to prop up the economy. Man is that going to bite us in the ass!

#24 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

I for one am glad to finally have a leader that I am happy to support. I believe a labour/green/nzfirst coalition has the potential to work quite well. To hear that Jacinda wants Labour to go back to its roots is also encouraging.

Seems to me Donkey and his mates have milked NZ for all its worth and now it's time for Labour to clean up the mess. National have completely screwed the housing market and forced many kiwis further into poverty. There is already a huge cost to this and it is only going to get a lot bigger including a social and financial cost.

National must have known that pumping immigrants into NZ to stimulate the economy was short sited and unsustainable. The "have's" have done quite well from the Nats however I believe society and our elected officials have a responsibility to look after everyone including the "have not's"

Well, I am not quite as anti immigrants as you. The more people there are here, the more people there are to buy your products. The trick is - and no party has a good answer for this - is how to not have all the immigrants working for peanuts thereby holding back real wage growth throughout the entire country.  John Key - as you might have figured - was not my favourite polly, but I do think the influx of immigrants did help soften the blow when Wall St blew up in '08.

#25 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:40 PM

John Key - as you might have figured - was not my favourite polly, but I do think the influx of immigrants did help soften the blow when Wall St blew up in '08.

Isn't that like thanking an arsonist for putting out a fire?

#26 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:52 PM

Well, I am not quite as anti immigrants as you. The more people there are here, the more people there are to buy your products.

If less people were paying $1 million for their $300k house you would also have more people to buy your product.. unless your a mortgage broker?

#27 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

A handy example of what I mean by the NZ voter lives in the past and makes decisions based on marketing rather than facts.

National have completely screwed the housing market  Under the previous Government NZ's housing stock increased 271% in value compared to 170% under the current one.

and forced many kiwis further into poverty. The number of low income households (the 60% number that's used to define poverty in NZ and has been for decades) are less in number today than there was when the Governing party last changed. 18% plays 15.5%.

Numbers supplied by the RBNZ and Dept of Statistics.

#28 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

A handy example of what I mean by the NZ voter lives in the past and makes decisions based on marketing rather than facts.

Numbers supplied by the RBNZ and Dept of Statistics.

Are you kidding me KM?

Google housing affordability in NZ. We can play around and pick out numbers that suit our argument but the bottom line is that under National we have become the most unaffordable place in the world to buy a home.

#29 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

Oh so when you said 'screwed the housing market' you actually meant something completely different. 

Are you my wife?

#30 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

Oh so when you said 'screwed the housing market' you actually meant something completely different. 

Are you my wife?

Ouch... by screwed I mean it is now very hard for the next generation to purchase a home. Ie unaffordable ie market screwed

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Knot Me... maybe, madyottie