#3321 AJ Oliver

AJ Oliver

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:07 AM

Hey Mr. E - 

There is a paywall in front of that article. 

But in any case, I stopped paying attention to the Economist's pronouncements on political philosophy .. .  oh, lessee, almost 50 years ago. 

All the left is really talking about here is fulfilling the promises made by FDR in the 1930's; and existing in Northern Europe today. 

#3322 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:07 PM

The humble cave now $950.00 a week for 30 years.

Seriously this property idiocy has got to stop.

$40 grand in fees to sell those in the realty business should hang their heads in collective shame.

$30 grand in development fees that provide little in return.

Paid 28 grand for one of the Ponceby palaces and the aspirant head pooh-bah of the squadron just dished out 4.2 million for the house next door.

Crikey if he would do the courteous thing and actually introduce himself and his family I could suggest that maybe he paid a tad to much. 

https://www.nzherald...jectid=12205655

#3323 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted Today, 07:48 AM

Agree with P. This Govt. is going to stop the idiocy.....especially if CGT is passed into law. Fairness and equity they call it. I say its reducing everyone (or as many as they can) to the lowest common denominator. And no,I don't have any other property that would be eligible for CGT. Just opposing another attack from the Left on NZ lifestyle and their social engineering programme implementation from the Helen Clark faction. They've got to hurry as they only have 19 months left. Hopefully a CGT that hits middle NZ will be a real vote winner for them

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#3324 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,926 posts

Posted Today, 08:38 AM

a couple of reports out this morning

suggest the coalition made it so broad so they could water it down to only hit rental property owners

if so

- it won't collect much, for a lot of complexity and effort 

- will distort the housing market in various negative ways, depending on how it's done

may slow? housing price rises, which seem to already plateaued 

- will probably increase rents, as fewer rentals get build+ bought

- do nothing to reduce the cost of building a home here, which is where the real problem lies

if posts offend .. or even too hard

please "ignore" :thumbup:

http://crew.org.nz/f...ea=ignoredusers

#3325 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,167 posts

Posted Today, 02:32 PM

a couple of reports out this morning

suggest the coalition made it so broad so they could water it down to only hit rental property owners

The coalition is yet to do anything.

if so

- it won't collect much, for a lot of complexity and effort

Probably true

- will distort the housing market in various negative ways, depending on how it's done

Probably only in the short term, but true.

- may slow? housing price rises, which seem to already plateaued

Don't hold your breath

- will probably increase rents, as fewer rentals get build+ bought

Yes. My retirement income goes up

- do nothing to reduce the cost of building a home here, which is where the real problem lies

Not really. It is way more complex than that.

But all that could largely be resolved if they weren't political pussies and made it all inclusive. No exceptions, no loopholes.
I like what they are trying to do ( reduce inequality) just not sure this will work.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#3326 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 30 minutes ago

I like what they are trying to do ( reduce inequality) just not sure this will work.

It hasn't in any country so far so one does wonder how they expect it to do so here.

The best bit is what comes next, what is the game they are playing. There is no way a CGT will pass as described yesterday and they are not stupid enough not to know that. So what move comes next will be interesting to see. Also Winston will be a fun watch. Will he try to claim him saying 'never going to happen' is a media beat up and he was miss-quoted or will he drop to his knees lips lubricated to hang onto all his burbles. Will Shaw step down after publicly saying if no CGT is brought in he reckons the greens would not deserve to be re-elected.

Some big calls have been made and some big stakes driven in to the sand, lets see who sticks to their guns and who sock-cocks out and who just flip flops.

Another interesting angle is will the cash economy spark up. I've noticed over the years when a government makes a tax call that is not liked we suddenly get a spike in being offered a lot more cash. Not that we take it, it's far far to dangerous to do that these days of everything having electronic trails. But will we see it spike again, time will tell.

#3327 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationLeeston

Posted 3 minutes ago

Remember, promises made as a PM candidate don’t count if you make it to government.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1), Rangi1