#11 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

Did a lot of ocean miles single-handed in 17 foot 10 inches LOA.
Obviously, what you can carry on board is limited, eg 30 gallons of water giving 60 days at the old half a gallon per man per day rule, so comfort is not going to be all that great.
I think small boats are strong and not subject to the same stresses in a seaway as their larger sisters - you tend to bounce from wave top to wave top rather than plowing through the wet stuff.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#12 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

Webb Chiles did his first time around in a Drascombe Lugger (open boat) he is currently completing his 6th in a 24 foot day racer, the best boat to have is the one you've got!

#13 curly12

curly12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

Peter Freeman in the 80's circumnavigated in a home built 32ft Hartley Ferro, held the world record for fastest sub 50ft boat non stop.

#14 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

100's, maybe almost 1000's, of 6.5mts boat have crossed the Atlantic.

#15 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

I'm fascinated by the little pocket offshore cruisers.. 17-24ft interests me.

Andrew Fagan is a legend. Shane Acton is another.

Who sailed to the 3 kings in a trailer sailer and what was the boat? I did hear of a TS, possibly a Pacer, that sailed there several times.. maybe the same one?

From my fairly inexperienced view it seems a good small boat can be just as seaworthy as a big boat but becomes very uncomfortable in the rough. I have been caught out in marginal conditions (for a TS) off the BoP coast and while I felt completely safe, it was certainly uncomfortable.

I can't imagine what it would be like in 6-7m swells in a small boat.

John Guzzwell (Trekka ?) would have to be added to the list I found this on a google search    http://www.tonygrove...ng/trekka.php. 

The chap who went solo to the three kings was in his 80's I think and If I recall correctly the article was in Boating NZ a year or three back. A chap I worked with in the Naval Dockyard built a Farr 9.2 that he sailed around NZ. He left the boat in Bluff for a few months before completing the circuit. The three kings will be one of the first trips when I get my new (old) boat.

#16 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

100's, maybe almost 1000's, of 6.5mts boat have crossed the Atlantic.

Yes of course ! particularly the Mini Transat Boats at only 6.5 Metres, Chris Sayers Book is excellent !

#17 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

Peter Freeman in the 80's circumnavigated in a home built 32ft Hartley Ferro, held the world record for fastest sub 50ft boat non stop.

Interesting , you wouldn't think of Ferro boats breaking speed records :-)

#18 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

Did a lot of ocean miles single-handed in 17 foot 10 inches LOA.
Obviously, what you can carry on board is limited, eg 30 gallons of water giving 60 days at the old half a gallon per man per day rule, so comfort is not going to be all that great.
I think small boats are strong and not subject to the same stresses in a seaway as their larger sisters - you tend to bounce from wave top to wave top rather than plowing through the wet stuff.

Kudos to you ! have you written of the experience  ?

#19 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:58 PM

Webb Chiles did his first time around in a Drascombe Lugger (open boat) he is currently completing his 6th in a 24 foot day racer, the best boat to have is the one you've got!

I think James Hatfield an English Heart Patient did a circumnavigation in a 20 footer that eventually  foundered off NZ. From memory he finished the trip in a bigger boat. A fibreglass version of a Cornish Crabber I think. 

#20 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

Twisted Sisters went offshore - twice.  1st time as a standard 9m Turissimo

Cats have a good record offshore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users