#21 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

Yes of course ! particularly the Mini Transat Boats at only 6.5 Metres, Chris Sayers Book is excellent !

Completely coincidentally, I happened to pull his book off the shelf today and flicked through it. Have it sitting right next to me. What ever happened to him?

#22 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

a 23 ft wharram cat [similar to the one that crossed the tasman recently] was and perhaps still is the smallest cat to circumnavigate,, smaller boat , smaller problems particularly when sailing solo.

#23 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

Interesting , you wouldn't think of Ferro boats breaking speed records :-)

Seems to me they are lucky just to float.. (sorry Wheels)

#24 madyottie

madyottie

Strike 3. Woods Strike 18 Trimaran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Waikato

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

I think a few coronets have gone a long way. It may have even been a mate that went to three kings in one.

I have vague recollections of him telling me after a few rums in Whangarei cruising club. Although they're so hazy I cant be sure.

From memory it was completely unplanned, and they sailed north under kite with a possible underdose of blood in their alcohol system.

I may have 2 stories mixed up there. Not sure

3mm ply is no match for 110kg size 11 boots! Anyone know how to fix my foredeck?

#25 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

I think a few coronets have gone a long way. It may have even been a mate that went to three kings in one.

I have vague recollections of him telling me after a few rums in Whangarei cruising club. Although they're so hazy I cant be sure.

From memory it was completely unplanned, and they sailed north under kite with a possible underdose of blood in their alcohol system.

I may have 2 stories mixed up there. Not sure

A Coronet rings a bell, that may have been the boat, he did it twice according to the article.

Edited by Frank, 03 August 2017 - 06:50 PM.

#26 Changed

Changed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationNorth Shore

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:41 PM

Manawa (Marauder)-went around NZ a couple of summers ago.

Thomson 8.5 completed the RNI a few years back.

Cool Change (Ross 8.5) RNI twice.

Adrian Hayter's book Sheilla in the wind (I think) is a great read. Pretty small too.

#27 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

a 23 ft wharram cat [similar to the one that crossed the tasman recently] was and perhaps still is the smallest cat to circumnavigate,, smaller boat , smaller problems particularly when sailing solo.

21 foot, a Wharram Tiki named "Cooking Fat" is the small cat that circumnavigated

rory_mcdougall.jpg

#28 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

Did a lot of ocean miles single-handed in 17 foot 10 inches LOA.
Obviously, what you can carry on board is limited, eg 30 gallons of water giving 60 days at the old half a gallon per man per day rule, so comfort is not going to be all that great.
I think small boats are strong and not subject to the same stresses in a seaway as their larger sisters - you tend to bounce from wave top to wave top rather than plowing through the wet stuff.

Did you ever feel your little ship might let you down due to its size?

#29 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

If you want rock solid compact try john welsfords sundowner.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#30 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

Went to an evening at Panmure YBC about 35 years ago give or take a few years and the speaker had just returned from the US. He had sailed his Raven 26 from Wellington up to the west coast of the US. At one stage they got caught in sea fog in a shipping lane so no sleep, overtired and ended up on an open coastal beach. Thought they had done their chips but when they jumped over the side they were in waist deep water. Got ashore and found the nearest farmer who got a machine down to them at low tide dug a hole beneath the keel, strops underneath and put it on the back of a truck. Took the boat down the coast to the nearest marina Dryed her out, rewired and put her back in the water and off they went. I think the shipped it back to NZ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users