12 replies to this topic

#1 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

A Volvo 65 or one of the wicked up Vendee 60's?

#2 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

I would expect the open 60's to be quicker most of the time except heavy upwind.

The IMOCA 60's are close to the VO65's in the Fastnet race right now with all but one behind the VO65's, I expect the IMOCA's to pass the VO65's on the way back once they round the rock.

http://cf.yb.tl/fastnet2017

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

Ahhh, I never thought to suss that. Good thinking there fella.

#4 markm

markm

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

In theory Groupe Bel which I think was a VPLP foiler rates IRC 1.809, the VO65s typically 1.631 and for reference VO70s typically around 1.70 with the highest I've seen at 1.76

That makes the foiling Open 60s easily the quickest, the reality though is those numbers are more likely a comment on the IRC rule and calculations than they are a serious evaluation of the designs potential.

#5 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

Good stuff Mark.

Would it be reasonable to assume that the Volvo boats should be at peak form more often than the Opens in Vendee mode would be?

I know the Opens are highly tuned for what they are and do but surely they still couldn't be pushing maximum most of the time.

#6 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

The volvo boats are remarkably close in the fastnet, with imocas infront and behind, so I would say there is not much between them, would depend on the balance between uphill and downhill

#7 markm

markm

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

Definitely agree with that KM, though strictly speaking in splitting hairs mode, I'd say the Open 60s get their optimal conditions less frequently than the VO65.

Very much my personal thoughts, but my opinion of IRC is it tends to evaluate a boat assuming it's most favoured weather conditions.  For example, it evaluates a Shaw 9 basically as fast as a TP52.  That is just possibly true in some very specific downwind conditions but almost always it'd be no where near it.  Kind of explains why it rates 930s as significantly faster than 1020s etc.

What that means is that when you're considering how well IRC will rate a boat, you're basically trying to figure how 'rounded' a performer the boat will be.  The more tweaked to a specific weather condition a boat is, the sillier the IRC rating is likely to be.

The Open 60s will be very highly optimised towards reaching and slightly less running in breeze and not much else.  The VO65 will be as well, but not to the same extent.  The effect of that will be that IRC will overestimate the potential of the Open 60 more than it will the VO65.  Which do I reckon quicker?  I like the new Open 60s but think it'd be a damn close race given a range of conditions.

Very much just a generalisation though and very much FWIW observation with holes.

#8 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:43 PM

Are the open 60s in the fastnet doing it 2 handed or crewed?  Or some of each? If 2 handed that's another consideration when comparing with the volvo boats that are fully crewed.

#9 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

I was wondering that myself Raz.

Yeap probably right again Mark, conditions would have a big impact.

The Open 60's just go to show what can happen if you don't piss with the class rules every 5 minutes. Just like the Vendee race itself shows they will come, if you don't piss with the rules every 5 minutes, as it also shows the people can relate to it and with consistency comes a bigger following. I've been amazed each start at the massive crowd watching from just the beach. The online audience must be huge.

#10 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:23 PM

I think its not only the boats that draw the crowd, its the purity of the vendee globe as a sporting challenge. Alone. Around the world. No stops.

The volvo is a regatta that is little more than an advertising tour of which ever city best fits sponsorship goals. Doesnt even start and finish in the same port. Joke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users