NRC marine bio-security charge

I spent some time at Riverside Drive Marina, Whangarei when I had my previous boat a couple years ago, and I still must be on their mailing list.

Received the interesting email today as per below:

"Good Afternoon,

By now most of you will be aware of the new NRC marine bio-security charge to all mooring licensees (includes marina berths, swing moorings & pile moorings). The invoices for this charge have recently be sent out.

Northland marinas (Whangaroa, Kerikeri, Bay of Islands, Whangarei & Riverside) are disputing this NRC marine bio-security charge.

The marinas are currently seeking legal assessment of the marine bio-security charge & will not pay these until it has been obtained.

The Navigation Safety Bylaw charges are not being disputed by the marinas & will be paid without delay.

If you have any questions, please give me a call."

Well was having a talk to the marina manger yesterday afternoon and apparently they are not allowed to dive on the boats at the moment. It is against OSH regulations as there has been two sightings of a leopard sea in Whangarei Harbour.....

It is against OSH regulations as there has been two sightings of a leopard sea in Whangarei Harbour.....

OSH is over the top stupid. There has to be a huge number of other dangers worse than a Leopard Seal somewhere in the Harbour. :roll:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/95901275/leopard-seals-more-common-in-new-zealand-than-previously-thought-scientist-says

According to this it's happy teeth.

At the bottom of the article is an 0800 number for reporting sightings.

Now, since we've established the NRC dive teams can't inspect poor law abiding yatchies for fan worm when a leopard seal is about, if we could just arrange for a few sightings to be reported to 0800 LEOPARD for the Jan / Feb period, that would be great :-)

I don't actually understand this story, and it is in relation to the Mangawhai wastewater scheme, but the High Court has found:

Justice Ailsa Duffy has now ruled the rates levied by the Northland Regional Council via the Kaipara District Council rate demands were invalid.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/337547/kaipara-ruling-will-cost-northland-ratepayers-a-lot-of-money

This may well have very substantial implications for the bio-security charge, and be a major piece of case law that the original poster covers in regards to the mariners questioning the legality of NRC levying this charge.

It would be really nice to see a bureaucracy get a Royal Rogering from the High Court, especially following the complete sham consultation process they carried out. How many opposing submissions did they get?

The local marinas are disputing the charges and have lawyered up

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11921033

Something I didn't know... "Marsden Cove Marina, which is half-owned by the regional council..."

No doubt ratepayers in Kerikeri, Mangonui, Kaikohe and Kaitaia are just thrilled.

I was going to ask what a Regional Council is doing owning a marina, then remember that Far North Holdings Limited holey owns Opua Marina, who are in on the legal action. FNHL is holey owned by Far North District Council...

I wonder if there is much of a pissing match going on in Local Government up North?

Good to see they are focused on good outcomes for their communities, rather than expanding their budgets and empires.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/resources/listsandguides/documents/yacht%20pack.pdf

MPI encourages vessel operators to maintain hulls so as to be free of biofouling on arrival. Your vessel may be examined by underwater camera to check the biofouling. Severely fouled vessels may be directed to a haul-out facility for cleaning at owner’s expense. For further information refer www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files/ enter/ships/you-know-new-zealand-has.pdf New Zealand has strict requirements if bringing animals, including domestic pets, into New Zealand territorial waters

What about ships??