#21 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

So back to the question posed by the OP...

From the SSANZ NOR 

1.8 Life jackets are to be serviced in accordance with manufacturer’s requirements and the necessary documentation available for the Safety Inspector at the time of inspection or the organising authority at the time of declaration. (YNZ SR 17.07). Documentation to be carried on board at all times.

If my LJ is self service - do I write a little note to say that I've done it?  Does this count?

Out of the collection, I have a couple of deflatable LJ's which I'd consider to be at at different ends of the spectrum: a Maxxon - tested last three years by me, no worries

Any idea whether the maxxon manufacturer specifies self service is OK?  I can't find anything either way online and the guys in smart marine who sell them didn't seem to have ever heard of servicing a lifejacket.

#22 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

This Hutchwilco guide could be of interest to some:

https://www.hutchwil...et-high-res.pdf

#23 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

Any idea whether the maxxon manufacturer specifies self service is OK? 

Chinese so their instructions will be probably identical to the first set of non-asian made that pops up when you do a google search ;)

A self service is better than no service.

#24 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

The question is will that satisfy the SSANZ committee when they do their safety check.  Or my cat 3 inspector?  Both of whom are now requiring inflatable lifejackets be serviced in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.  

Is it reasonable to assume self service is OK in the absence of instruction from the manufacturer or retailer?  Or does no instructions mean no requirement at all?

#25 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,041 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

I service and sign the record in the jacket myself. Never been an issue with inspection, up to cat1

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#26 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

What brand of jacket do you have IT?  The requirement from our cat 3 inspector was in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.  We have a range, some that specify self service, some that specify service by an agent, and some that don't seem to specify anything.

SSANZ this year were quite specific at their briefing that you must have your jackets serviced in accordance with the manufacturers requirements and they will be spot checking and throwing out boats that haven't.  I ended up buying a new jacket as the cost was comparable to having my baltic serviced.  I've self checked the baltic recently (and done thousands of offshore miles in it this year and still prefer to wear it) but the messaging from SSANZ was that it must be done in accordance with manufacturers requirements.

#27 motorbike

motorbike

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:33 PM

Well the good news is that now we know which brand to avoid to be compliant on the racetrack if we want to save money

#28 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,041 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:27 PM

I have hutchwilcos and crewsavers. Both allow self service.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#29 Elly

Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

The cheapest place I have found for servicing is called "Wilco", they are down by the tank farm and charge $30.

https://www.wilcomarineservices.co.nz/

#30 Dambo

Dambo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

I have hutchwilcos and crewsavers. Both allow self service.

Yup, cheap LJ's for me from here on in...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users