• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Bradz

Bradz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

What brand of jacket do you have IT?  The requirement from our cat 3 inspector was in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.  We have a range, some that specify self service, some that specify service by an agent, and some that don't seem to specify anything.

SSANZ this year were quite specific at their briefing that you must have your jackets serviced in accordance with the manufacturers requirements and they will be spot checking and throwing out boats that haven't.  I ended up buying a new jacket as the cost was comparable to having my baltic serviced.  I've self checked the baltic recently (and done thousands of offshore miles in it this year and still prefer to wear it) but the messaging from SSANZ was that it must be done in accordance with manufacturers requirements.

Have a read of the instructions from Baltic where they outline below, http://www.baltic.se...flatable_en.pdf "

The annual inspection is best carried out by our accredited service
stations, or as an
alternative you can perform a simplified inspection
yourself. Refer to page 4 in this information brochure for instructions."

I think self service would qualify.

#32 Rawhide

Rawhide

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

nice work, i think i will print these and add to the boat documents, so can record on the back when the checks are done and next time I am asked the answer is there in black and white!

Yosemite, Mr Kamikaze, Faster Coyote, A.W.O.L, Faster Coyote, and then Rawhide

#33 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

nice work, i think i will print these and add to the boat documents, so can record on the back when the checks are done and next time I am asked the answer is there in black and white!

I have just printed this along with the Hutchwilco one. I have Baltic and hutchwilcos.

I do think evidence of a service is important, so will probably inflate and snap a couple of pics during the self service

#34 motorbike

motorbike

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

Thats an awesome find, thanks

#35 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

I was doing some work for some boats yesterday who race and cruise so wanted to be YNZ compliant, we do it a lot, and I realised we have the same sort of situation with anchoring as some life jackets. But with YNZ's Safety Regs now not SSANZ, same sort of thing but with different lipstick ;)

The Regs state bits like 'as per manufacturers recommendations', added at my insistence so there was at least some guide or we'd see 40fters using the systems off their dingies, it was going to be 'have an anchor', which seems bloody stupid when you have to jumop thru hops with gear that isn't life saving as anchoring systems can be.

Anyway the problem is Manson, NZ's biggest anchor maker gives no size recommendations, Anchor Rite an Aussie manufacturer and in with Manson as being the top 2 suppliers of real gear and all the best performing gear in to Australasia, their recommendations are based on satisfying Aussie Government Survey, a bit like our MNZ but sadly the Aussies have something MZN doesn't, it works in the 21st century, MNZ is still in the 19th. Anyway it mean their recommendation are on the large side. Then the other 'names' specify numbers but have small print like 'in up to 25kt winds', or are based in the US where they anchor on 3mt deep lakes and regard 20knots as a sign on an impending apostolic event so go home and hide. Then there is the chinese stuff and you'd trust a lot of that as much as you'd trust a politician to keep their word.

Note to YNZ and it's Inspectors, Good luck with that one ;)

#36 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:05 AM

SSANZ is following the requirements set in the RRS
This applies to all racing right down to Cat 5

We made lots of noise at the briefing wanting all yachts to be compliant with the RRS especially as two handed racing at night in strong winds is inherently risky plus many weren't aware that servicing is a requirement that's in the 2017-2020 RRS

We haven't actually asked for certs yet as there is a bit of learning required by the sailors, but it is definitely happening as evident on this site.

Self service or however isn't important as long as it's in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations,

I'm as guilty as the next guy for having LJs on board that I've never checked in years.

Issy Bay could be a good place for me to come around the fleet and check on your rum/certs
The best sailors do it two handed

#37 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

Issy Bay could be a good place for me to come around the fleet and check on your rum/certs

We have both. Bring a cup

#38 Dambo

Dambo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

Thank you for the response Jon.  I'm aware that it's been in the RRS for years but ya'know, there's always been a bit of a gap between the RRS and what going into a NOR (I appreciate that all NOR have and continue to cite the RRS) 

I would assume you guys wouldn't be too ummm, punitive about this stuff (unless someone was being a complete twat) but it's definitely raised the topic for discussion here which is good.

Likewise to Clipper, bring your cup, we'll pour out some rum when you visit :-)

#39 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

We always take safety very seriously and if we see any yacht not complying with the rules we will protest them, call that punitive if you like, we call it running a successful event.
So far we have chosen to not look too hard for certs but this won't last much longer.
If all boats are compliant with the RRS then it's fair for all, cheating by not carrying the correct gear is no different to not sailing the correct course or failing to give way.
Let's call the first two races fair warning, our failing to protest yachts that we know to break rules is in effect penalising all that comply.
The best sailors do it two handed

#40 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

Well that's a sad condemnation of the sport of saulboat racing.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users