12 replies to this topic

#11 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

two questions,  can you mount gas bottles on there side?  if so then that solves my problem as my current 4.5kg bottles will fit where I want them it lying down. 

Otherwise I looked at the 2.2kg but want the normal fitting as I have had trouble getting them filled with the small fittings before.

But maybe this sideways option needs more investigation!

Yeap no problem. I have the ones VB posted and they work fine on their sides.

After asking gawd knows how many people, inc the sellers and the manufacturers and gas fitters, a pile of other experts (??) and across the world, none could tell me much more that what this thread says but no one was sure or confident to say Yes or No, it was bizarre. All I got was 'I think...', 'I was told....', 'I'm going to guess....'. So I got one laid it down and went for it.

Here's why and what I found but there is some lead in if you want to skim the 9 pages, it was done for the very same reason you are asking. There is even photos of the very valve in them, I did go deep to make sure I don'pt go the way of a Bond villain. Here's the summery inc consumption rate - http://crew.org.nz/f...-bottles/page-9

Testing found it to be fine and with the total lack of any other inputs from experts suggesting that is wrong I now have no absolutely no problem mounting them on their side.

Some bottle do have tubes bend inside and you do need to line the bottle the right way, like the one on my forklift, but that tube is to make sure you can get at all the gas in a multitude of environments i.e if it is used in a cool store. Basically they make them one way so the bottles are multi use. The tube does not need to go into the gas inside the bottle, some do but most don't.

I have those very bottles noted above and will be coating them with something, the alloy isn't thick so feck all corrosion and you could have problems. They are a lot lighter weight than the older alloys that were around so that is about the only a concern I have now.

#12 SanFran

SanFran

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

Rawhide... going back to the issue of finding one, I got a short fat bottle from a place on Neilson Street near the end, close to Mt Smart. Can't recall the name of the company. Try Google Earth?

#13 SanFran

SanFran

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

Try Firecorp, Neilson rd. They have signage with a gas bottle on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users