Photo

Electronics options?

electronics navigation instruments computer chart plotter MFD AIS VHF GPS OpenCPN

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:10 PM

If you had a blank slate what electronics would you install today? Think suitable for single and short handed sailing including offshore and keeping it budget friendly. Would you have a PC with OpenCPN and build a system or buy a brand based system with an MFD? All individual components or some that do a combo like a VHF with AIS and GPS? What would you have for redundancy/backups? Wifi or wired wind sensor?

#2 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,041 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

Ok, Broad Question. It depends on the person, and the application (local,coastal, offshore). If they are technophobes, then the dedicated MFD solution for sure. If PC literate, then the PC solution wins.

You asked for what would we have, so here goes for me in a fully capable yacht;

PC core system, opencpn latest edition. Duplicated waterproof touchscreen monitors, at least one below deck at the chart table, and one in the cockpit. Industrial trackball by cockpit monitor. NMEA 2000 Bus, Including all the transducers (Masthead, depth, speed, temp etc). Solid state compass, with pitch roll and yaw. High end autopilot specifically for sailboat. Vesper Marine AIS XB8000 with N2K, Wifi, NMEA0183 and USB for the PC connections.  Broadband radar, 3G or 4G. I still prefer an SSB and Pactor 4 for comms and Mail, incl weather. Fwd scan sonar if going to the Islands, or anywhere with poor charts and or Coral. Good VHF with remote for cockpit.

Plus a good quality battery computer, properly set up, specifically for the batteries you have got. As much solar as I can fit on. Wind gen if making serious long passages where there is wind.

Funnily enough, this is pretty much what I have on IT. Plus a MFD so I can demo the differences to people who are interested.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#3 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

Thanks IT, I've been seeing a lot of positive comments for Vesper AIS. I'm not an expert with tech but I'm reasonably comfortable with learning what I need to. I like the idea of a PC having decent sized touch screens and using OpenCPN with SAS.Pilot and Google Earth to overlay satellite images.

Pros and cons of 3G v 4G radar?

I must admit I find the idea of having forward scan sonar quite attractive for areas that aren't charted that well.

Can the Silentwind blades to fitted to other wind generators?

I just came across the Pelagic autopilot, any knowledge of it? https://pelagicautopilot.com/ 

#4 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

3g is single range, 4G is dual (can have 2 radar pics simultaneously on different ranges - like 2 radars). 4G is good for fast boats needing both close in and longer range at the same time. I use a 3G personally.
Autopilots, IMO should be fully integrated. Ideally is have the H5000 series B&G unit, even the base model. Designed for a yacht, as used by most of the last vendee globe boats. You can have gybe prevention, steering by compass with roll, pitch and yaw, accurate instruments that even compensate for mast movements etc. Steer to compass, wind, Navigation, Wind NAV etc These units are MILES above a basic ap. If you can't afford that, then the Triton pilot is also good, but not so fancy.
Yes, silent wind blades also fit Airx or Air Breeze units.
A fwd scan requires an MFD...
Happy to show you all this on IT sometime is your keen.
Cheers
Matt

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#5 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

Boyo oboy oboy. I dont know what most of those things are.
Other end of the scale. Wind vane if possible otherwise hugely overspecced underdeck auto pilot. Gps ( get few they are cheap). Last trip i did alnost exclusively on my phone for nav. Comms i want to try one of the new magic boxes that lets you send text messages from your phone via satellite. Rhey also receive weather forecasts.
Done.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#6 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

Sure BP, you can do it like that. You could still drive a model T as well.
If you have not used this type of gear you don't know what your missing!
Each to there own of course...

#7 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

I have and i do.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#8 geoff-halo

geoff-halo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

Ok, Broad Question. It depends on the person, and the application (local,coastal, offshore). If they are technophobes, then the dedicated MFD solution for sure. If PC literate, then the PC solution wins.

You asked for what would we have, so here goes for me in a fully capable yacht;

PC core system, opencpn latest edition. Duplicated waterproof touchscreen monitors, at least one below deck at the chart table, and one in the cockpit. Industrial trackball by cockpit monitor. NMEA 2000 Bus, Including all the transducers (Masthead, depth, speed, temp etc). Solid state compass, with pitch roll and yaw. High end autopilot specifically for sailboat. Vesper Marine AIS XB8000 with N2K, Wifi, NMEA0183 and USB for the PC connections.  Broadband radar, 3G or 4G. I still prefer an SSB and Pactor 4 for comms and Mail, incl weather. Fwd scan sonar if going to the Islands, or anywhere with poor charts and or Coral. Good VHF with remote for cockpit.

Plus a good quality battery computer, properly set up, specifically for the batteries you have got. As much solar as I can fit on. Wind gen if making serious long passages where there is wind.

Funnily enough, this is pretty much what I have on IT. Plus a MFD so I can demo the differences to people who are interested.

Any suggestions on where to buy the "waterproof touchscreen monitors"? Only ones I've found on the net are more expensive than a pc.

#9 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:21 PM

Any suggestions on where to buy the "waterproof touchscreen monitors"? Only ones I've found on the net are more expensive than a pc.

http://www.neptunes-...navassist.html 

#10 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

Thanks Matt, love to take you up on the offer to have a look at your setup when I'm back in the country.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electronics, navigation, instruments, computer, chart plotter, MFD, AIS, VHF, GPS, OpenCPN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users