19 replies to this topic

#1 maharg

maharg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

I have seen a number of dogs on yachts and it seems reasonably common these days. Does anyone have any tips or advice for having one onboard?

We have 8 week old Cavoodle joining the family next month, she will be about the size of a Toy Poodle. I wonder what age she would be OK to take out on the yacht for weekends etc?

#2 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:51 PM

I have seen a number of dogs on yachts and it seems reasonably common these days. Does anyone have any tips or advice for having one onboard?

We have 8 week old Cavoodle joining the family next month, she will be about the size of a Toy Poodle. I wonder what age she would be OK to take out on the yacht for weekends etc?

We had our labraspoodle on the boat heaps, he loved it, used to swim off the back too, their paws do not grip on hard surfaces.

#3 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,561 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:51 AM

The big issue is is you need to take them ashore. There are many places that will not allow Dogs ashore now. So it can become limiting. I have heard of a cruiser that grew a patch of grass in a wooden frame on the aft deck and his Dog would go on that. I imagine it was not quite as simple as it sounds though.
I would love a Dog, but the looking after and exercise is just too hard to be bothered with for us. I used to watch a friend row their two dogs ashore in the early hrs of the morning in the wind and rain and I would think very gratefully of our two cats curled up in the bed with us.

#4 Toltec

Toltec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:59 AM

We picked our dog up from the pound and took him away for Easter after one night at home he just adpated now he loves it whenever I go to the boat I always take him only problem is he has stopped going to the toilet on the foredeck now you have to take him in and that is getting harder as there is a lot of places they are not allowed.We just don,t go there We had some false grass on the deck that worked for a while then we didn't,t go out for about three months that is when he stopped going to the toilet on the boat.He is the fourth dog that I have had on boats it used to be a lot easier when there weren't so many rules and they were allowed below high water mark.

#5 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

Had our little Dog on board from the day she arrived, even lived aboard for about 8 months, travelled the coast between Tauranga and Bay of Islands. Can be a pain getting her enough exercise and toilet stops but went ashore in a few places we wouldn't have otherwise so part of the adventure.

She handled it all fine until one day a F#$%wit on a big gin palace went past at high speed while we were anchored and sent the dishes smashing onto the floor and now she is sh*t scared of any loud noise and becomes quite stressed.

Hopefully with time she will return to normal.

Attached File  Daisy Berenice (Small).jpg   100.68KB   0 downloads

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#6 Neil

Neil

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationWaimauku, Auckland

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

They love it, especially when on the rail and their ears get to take off speed....

https://youtu.be/55mBwFCIrd4

Attached File  ears.JPG   137.96KB   0 downloads

#7 Addem

Addem

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

I have a mate whose little dog visited our boat and made a nice toilet out of one of our quarter berths. Apparently the wee thing is now sh*t scared of any loud noises.

#8 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

She wouldn't be the first one to play up when visiting someone else's boat.  ;-)

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#9 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

We had drug sniffing dog in Mexico didnt want to go up the companionway ladder so took a giant dump. The officer carried him up the ladder and left.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#10 maharg

maharg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

The big issue is is you need to take them ashore. There are many places that will not allow Dogs ashore now. So it can become limiting. I have heard of a cruiser that grew a patch of grass in a wooden frame on the aft deck and his Dog would go on that. I imagine it was not quite as simple as it sounds though.
I would love a Dog, but the looking after and exercise is just too hard to be bothered with for us. I used to watch a friend row their two dogs ashore in the early hrs of the morning in the wind and rain and I would think very gratefully of our two cats curled up in the bed with us.

It's ironic that I found humour watching hung over dads motoring ashore in the morning, with Spot at the front of the dinghy in controlled exuberance.

On reflection though, it is the wife that wants the dog, so once trained in the required outboard skills, those mornings on the aft deck may be just that more entertaining!  :razz:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users