Anyone working on boats in LSB?

I drove over the harbour bridge yesterday, and there appeared to be a mast-less yacht pirated on my mooring.

It's directly inshore of Swirly World and a big-ish, old-ish white tri.

I don't recall there being any empties in the area.

If anyone is going for a paddle around, can you check for me please?

The number is LK38.

Cheers guys

What is the deal with 'borrowing' moorings like this for a short term (ie not leaving the boat),

Ok to pick up an empty one to stop for lunch? 

What about a snooze overnight? Obviously, you'd have to move when the owner comes along.. 

Is there some sorta unwritten rule?

They are exclusively licensed to the holder but I pick vacant ones up all the time, but don't leave the boat unattended.

One year I got completely reamed out by a guy in kerikeri as I was waiting for a friend to turn up for a day cruise and the bay was too full of moorings to risk dropping the pick. Not a pleasant scene but he was correct - it was his after all.

What is the deal with 'borrowing' moorings like this for a short term (ie not leaving the boat),

Ok to pick up an empty one to stop for lunch? 

What about a snooze overnight? Obviously, you'd have to move when the owner comes along.. 

Is there some sorta unwritten rule?

The trick is not to leave the vessel unattended,I picked up one in blackpool one night.No matter how i tried the pick just wouldnt hold,mind you I did pick the dirtiest mooring.

Agreed, without knowing what is on the bottom, it's not clever at all.

I've wandered around lsb at low tide, there's one mooring, quite a long way out, which has nothing on the other end except a truck tyre.

I'm guessing it belongs to a local who just hooks up the kids kayaks.

Thanks for the replies, if it's gone I won't trouble the harbourmaster.

On the other hand, there are plenty of moorings that are rarely used, and are taking up prime anchoring spots, so it you are doing the owner a favor by grabbing a mooring and putting it to good use.

They are exclusively licensed to the holder but I pick vacant ones up all the time, but don't leave the boat unattended.

One year I got completely reamed out by a guy in kerikeri as I was waiting for a friend to turn up for a day cruise and the bay was too full of moorings to risk dropping the pick. Not a pleasant scene but he was correct - it was his after all.

I had a similar experience in Tryphena. I picked up an empty mooring and got a good dressing down when the owner turned up a few minutes later. I apologised and told him my useless imitation Bruce had dragged (again) and if he could give me a couple of minutes to sort out the mess on my foredeck I'd be off and on my way to Auckland to buy a decent anchor.

He said not to worry, in that case he'd go onto his mates mooring nearby and I could stay all day on his if I wished, and that if I was going to Auckland I could use the berh that he owned in Westhaven, and he would phone the marina and tell them that it was OK for me to use it. And to finish the affair he apologised for chewing me out but said he'd had a bit of trouble with people leaving boats unattended on his mooring.

There really are some awfully nice people around.

On the other hand, there are plenty of moorings that are rarely used, and are taking up prime anchoring spots, so it you are doing the owner a favor by grabbing a mooring and putting it to good use.

The moorings 'rarely used' are probably the ones to avoid. But unless you are familiar with an area you wouldn't know. Good luck explaining it to the insurance co if it goes wrong.

Well I haven't had any problems so far.  

And at Great Barrier a few years ago in a big blow I was dragging anchor, so grabbed a mooring, and slept like a baby, while other yachts out there were on anchor watch.