#11 Elly

Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

On the other hand, there are plenty of moorings that are rarely used, and are taking up prime anchoring spots, so it you are doing the owner a favor by grabbing a mooring and putting it to good use.

#12 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

They are exclusively licensed to the holder but I pick vacant ones up all the time, but don't leave the boat unattended.
One year I got completely reamed out by a guy in kerikeri as I was waiting for a friend to turn up for a day cruise and the bay was too full of moorings to risk dropping the pick. Not a pleasant scene but he was correct - it was his after all.

I had a similar experience in Tryphena. I picked up an empty mooring and got a good dressing down when the owner turned up a few minutes later. I apologised and told him my useless imitation Bruce had dragged (again) and if he could give me a couple of minutes to sort out the mess on my foredeck I'd be off and on my way to Auckland to buy a decent anchor.
He said not to worry, in that case he'd go onto his mates mooring nearby and I could stay all day on his if I wished, and that if I was going to Auckland I could use the berh that he owned in Westhaven, and he would phone the marina and tell them that it was OK for me to use it. And to finish the affair he apologised for chewing me out but said he'd had a bit of trouble with people leaving boats unattended on his mooring.
There really are some awfully nice people around.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#13 Addem

Addem

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:25 PM

thats a great thing to aim for.

#14 GregW

GregW

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

On the other hand, there are plenty of moorings that are rarely used, and are taking up prime anchoring spots, so it you are doing the owner a favor by grabbing a mooring and putting it to good use.

The moorings 'rarely used' are probably the ones to avoid. But unless you are familiar with an area you wouldn't know. Good luck explaining it to the insurance co if it goes wrong.

#15 Elly

Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

Well I haven't had any problems so far.  

And at Great Barrier a few years ago in a big blow I was dragging anchor, so grabbed a mooring, and slept like a baby, while other yachts out there were on anchor watch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users