39 replies to this topic

#1 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:14 PM

Is there any opinion about purchasing Sailrite kit to make (DIY) stack-pack? Perhaps anybody done it? Alternative solution to get Sumbrella from the Canvas company, they have all bits and pieces but seems it would be slightly more than the first one. I did not checked shipping cost but that could be more than a few bucks. I planing to make my own sail cover  soon.

#2 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,182 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

The main thing is the design pattern. Sewing a stack pack is not too hard - good 1st project. 

Try Topfab or Shann for the materials - pricing there should be better.

Sailrite will send you a kit - basically a jigsaw, labeled and easy to sew. All the bits included, incl lazy jacks, battens, slugs etc etc.

Otherwise you have to design and build from scratch - unless you have an old one as a pattern?

Do you have a 1/2 decent machine to sew with?

Finally, get a price locally - you might be surprised!

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#3 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:28 PM

Thanks IT, I'll check their price as well tomorrow,. I was thinking to use Sailrite description as a guideline and make it fit to my needs. I have a Brother GS 2700, with a walking foot attachment which is fairly new I never used (I mean the walking foot) but i used the machine to patching up my old dodger last year with no problem so I'm confident it will do the job. By the way sailrite can supply lazy jack as well but separately.

Edited by nagy592, 23 August 2017 - 09:29 PM.

#4 clareb

clareb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:22 PM

What did you decide the end? I'm going to be making one in a month or two so keen to hear what works out cheapest and easiest!

#5 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

I made my own about 8yrs ago. Love it.

#6 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:10 AM

Hi clareb, the kit price for my boat is 265 USD, shipping around 120 USD plus local tax makes the Sailrite lot more expensive than buy the parts here in NZ so I go for the second option. Also as IT mentioned every boat/boom is different so the kit also needs to be "tailored" I think this is the sensible decision. I just going to order today... 

#7 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:45 AM

I would be very wary of anything cheap. There are lots of cheap materials that simply do not last. The material cost me $600 way back 8yrs ago. That was trade too. But it has a good warranty for UV. It needs to be a decent weight as there is a lot of strain paced on it in places. It needs to be stitched well a d needs lots of reinforcing in places. They are expensive for a reason. You cannot get way with cheap if you want it to last.

#8 clareb

clareb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:46 AM

That sounds like the right option! Would love to see some photos when you're done and hear how it went. Hope it all goes well :)

#9 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

You absolutely right, that's why I was researching a bit beforehand... Have you used Sunbrella, or something else? I think it was designed for this.

http://www.canvascom...152cm wide.html, this is the biggest chunk of the purchase, they have everything, probably the thread is the only one what I did not found locally yet... Based on the numbers, I expect to fetch the $500 mark (NZD). top of that an electric rope cutter will be on the list what I needed anyway.

#10 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:12 AM

I have always been careful to make sure that the weight of the boom will not be taken by the bag material if the topping lift failed..ie take the lazy jacks down direct to the boom and then hang the bag off the lazy jacks, or use webbing or similar to take the load to the boom .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users